Sale features outstanding selection of Mexican and ancient coinage and Italian banknotes
Ponterio & Associates, a division of Bowers and Merena Auctions, is pleased to present the January 2011 N.Y.I.N.C. Auction at the Waldorf Astoria in New York on Jan. 7-8. The auction will feature 2,558 lots including Part I of the Len Novotny Collection of Mexican Coinage, the Michael Demling Collection of Ancient Coinage, David Ian Wright Collection of Italian Banknotes and a superb selection of Fussli specimens.
“After wrapping up our December Hong Kong auction with the Wa She Wong Collection, we are excited to offer another extremely diverse selection of ancient and world coins and paper money,” said Rick Ponterio, executive vice president of Bowers and Merena. “Sure to be the center of attention, the 1854 Guatemala 8 Reales, lot 1036 and graded AU-55 by NGC, is perhaps the rarest crown-sized type coin for all of Latin America.”
Shortly after the production of this coin, the Republic of Guatemala adopted the decimal system and began producing coinage in Pesos and Centavo-equivalent denominations. This marks the coin as the first, last, and only 8 Reales produced by the Republic of Guatemala.
Another anchor of the sale is lot 827, an extremely rare and important 1897 Anhwei Pattern Dollar, graded MS-62 by PCGS. “This particular specimen is clearly intended for special presentation purposes as it exhibits a bold, full-bodied strike with all special characters and sharp details,” said Ponterio.
Furthering the significance of the piece, the short-lived Anhwei mint only produced silver coinage for approximately two years before operations ceased and the mint was dismantled.
Additional coin and paper money highlights of the auction include:
· Lot 116, 1784/3 Mexico 8 Escudos, Key Charles III Proper Portrait, Choice Extremely Fine
· Lot 131, 1823 Mexico 8 Escudos, Hookneck Eagle, AU-55 (NGC)
· Lot 258, 1835 Belgium 40 Francs, MS-64 (NGC)
· Lot 357, 1850 Costa Rica ½ Onza, SP-61 (NGC), (Ex: Fredrick Mayer Collection)
· Lot 464, 1883 Honduras 10 Pesos, , AU-50 (NGC)
· Lot 549, 1926 Italy 50 Lire, MS-64 (NGC)
· Lot 550, 1926-R Italy 20 Lire, MS-65 (PCGS)
· Lot 2031, 264 B.C. Siculo-Punic Silver Dekadrachm, Time of First Punic War, Sicilian Mint, Choice Very Fine
· Lot 2536, 1892 Bank of Greece 100 Drachmai, P-45
· Lot 2611, 1913 Imperial Bank of Persia 2 Tomans, P-2, About Uncirculated, Consecutive pair
· Lot 2613, 1890-1923 Imperial Bank of Persia 1,000 Tomans Specimen, P-10s, Choice Uncirculated
The first day of the two-day auction will feature Part I of the Len Novontny Collection of Mexican Coinage and an array of world gold coins, world crowns, and minors. The second day will host the Michael Demling Collection of Ancient Coinage, David Ian Wright Collection of Italian Banknotes, and ancient and world paper money including Fussli specimens. Lot viewing will be conducted before the sale at the Waldorf Astoria in the Morgan Suite, floor 18, Jan. 5-8.
All lot descriptions and images can be viewed online at the firm’s web site by visiting www.bowersandmerean.com. Bidding is open and pre-auction bids can be placed through the firm’s web site, by email at [email protected], via fax at 949-253-4091, by calling a representative at 800-458-4646 or by postal mail addressed to Bowers and Merena, January 2011 N.Y.I.N.C., 18061 Fitch, Irvine, CA 92614.