Kolbe & Fanning’s 2016 New York Book Auction to Feature the RBW Library
Kolbe & Fanning are pleased to announce that our 2016 New York Book Auction will feature the celebrated RBW Library and other important properties. Focusing on Roman Republican coinage, the RBW Library includes both the essential standard works on the subject as well as many rarely-seen and little-known publications. RBW’s collections of antiquarian books, auction catalogues and numismatic offprints add to the utility and comprehensiveness of the library, which had become famous among his fellow collectors.
The sale also includes a fine selection of works on other ancient coins, medieval and modern foreign coins, and U.S. numismatics. Over 450 lots are included in the sale, a PDF of which has been posted on the K&F website at numislit.com and printed catalogues of which will be mailed to current customers in the next couple of weeks. The sale will take place on Saturday, January 9, 2016, beginning at 12:30 p.m. eastern time, at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in Manhattan, in conjunction with the 2016 New York International Numismatic Convention.
Some highlights include the following:
- Lot 29: Bahrfeldt’s three-part revision of Babelon on Roman Republican coins
- Lot 55: the Duke of Devonshire’s exceptional copy of the 1532 Paris folio edition of Budé’s De asse et partibus eius
- Lot 110: the 1517 first edition of Fulvio’s Illustrium images, the first illustrated numismatic book
- Lot 142: Hess’s 1912 catalogue of the Count Tolstoï collection of Roman Republican coins
- Lot 195: Morell’s 1734 Thesaurus Morellianus, with the rare 1752 continuation
- Lot 229: a rare complete run of 23 Rodolfo Ratto fixed-price catalogues
- Lot 369: Duby’s extraordinary works on obsidional and French feudal coins, in Louis XVI bindings
- Lot 377: Hess’s 1913 catalogue of the Count Tolstoï collection of 19th-century Russian coins
- Lot 423: Bushnell’s legendary 1864-66 Crumbs for Antiquarians, including the second edition of his 1859 work on New York tokens
- Lot 428: an original manuscript record of Cogan’s 1859 Charles B. Foote sale.
As mentioned above, printed catalogues are being mailed to established clients and a PDF of the catalogue has been posted to the main numislit.com website. In about two weeks, prospective bidders will be able to access the live online catalogue and register to bid through auction.numislit.com. We will send out a notice when this is available.
As usual, viewing of selected lots will be held in the Library Suite on the 18th Floor of the Waldorf-Astoria in the days leading up to the sale. More information on lot viewing and on participating in the sale will be included in future announcements.
Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC is a licensed auction firm in the State of Ohio and is conducting the sale in conjunction with Marissa Russell, auctioneer. For more information, please see the Kolbe & Fanning website at www.numislit.com or email David Fanning at email@example.com. We look forward to your participation.