The good news? If you haven’t had a chance to do so, there’s still time to check out Harlan J. Berk, Ltd’s latest Buy or Bid Sale.
The bad news? The sale closes today, October 29, at 4:00 pm Central Standard Time (5:00 pm EST).
HJB’s Auction 195 features 580 lots of Ancient and World coins, medals and medallions – plus another 48 lots consisting of non-numismatic antiquities, jewlery, glassware, ceramics, Asian art, antique maps and more.
Auction 195 is the latest of Harlan J. Berk’s innovative “Buy or Bid” sales. If you’ve never taken part in a Buy or Bid Sale, it’s simple:
If you want to buy an item right away and avoid being outbid, then all you have to do is pay the estimated price and HJB will ship your new purchase to you immediately. If you’d rather place a bid on an item, then the highest bidder after close wins.
Highlights from Auction 195 include:
- Lot 12: MACEDONIA, ALEXANDER III THE GREAT; 336-323 BC. Amphipolis, c. 325-322 BC, Distater, 17.21g. Price-191. Obv: Helmeted head of Athena r. Rx: Nike standing l., holding wreath with thunderbolt symbol in l. field and A monogram below r. wing. Purchased privately from Roma Numismatics in 2013. Gold staters of Alexander are extremely common. Distaters are extremely rare and especially in this very nice condition. EF / aEF …………… Estimate: US$35,000
- Lot 32: MANUEL I, COMNENUS, 1143-1180 AD; EL Aspron Trachy, 3.85g. Sear-1959, BMC-27, Paris-6, Hendy-pl. 13.5-9, Ratto-2120. Obv: Christ standing facing on dais, bearded and wearing numbus cruciger, pallium and colobium; in l. hand, book of Gospels; to l., IC (line above); to r., XC (line above) and star on either side. Rx: Manuel, bearded (on l.) and St. Theodore, bearded and nimbate (on r.) both standing facing, holding between them patriarchal cross with large globus at base; the emperor wears crown, divitision and loros, and holds sheathed sword in r., whilst the saint is clad in military attire. Legend around. Fully struck on both obverse and reverse. Mint State …………… Estimate: US$475
- Lot 103: ATTIC, ATHENS; 110-109 BC, Tetradrachm, 16.75g. Thompson-709a. Obv: Helmeted head of Athena r. Rx: Symbol: Artemis standing front holding patera and bow, fawn at her feet. Toned EF ………….. Estimate: US$1,500
- Lot 242: AUGUSTUS; 27 BC-14 AD, Antiochia ad Orontem, Seleucis and Pieria, Year 30 Actian Era = 2/1 BC, Tetradrachm, 14.84g. RPC-4156, Prieur-55, Wruck-7, McAlee-185. Obv: ΚΑΙΣΑΡΟΣ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟV from upper right. Laureate head of Augustus r.; fillet border. Rx: ΕΤΟΩΣ ΝΙΚΗΣ Tyche seated r. on rock, holding palmbranch; below, river-god Orontes swimming r.; in field above palm-branch, Λ; in field below palm-branch, monogram A/IΓ and ANT monogram. Toned aEF …………… Estimate: US$1,250
- Lot 498: PTOLEMAIC, PTOLEMY II; 285-246 BC, AE 45, 92.22g. Sv-446, SNG Cop-142. Obv: Head of Zeus Ammon r. with diadem and floral ornament. Rx: Eagle standing l. on thunderbolt looking back, wings open, E between legs. Large coin. Fine …………… Estimate US$260
- Lot 531: MAXIMUS AS CAESAR, SON OF MAXIMINUS I; 235-238 AD, Sestertius, Rome, 236-8 AD, 17.03g. BM-213, C-14 (10 Fr.), RIC-13. Obv: MAXIMVS CAES GERM Bust draped r. with head bare. Rx: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS S – C Prince standing l. holding baton and spear, two standards behind him. Exceptional portrait. Near Mint State …………… Estimate: US$6,000
Remember, the sale closes at 4:00 pm, so visit www.hjbltd.com and make an offer while you can!
About Harlan J. Berk
The staff members of Harlan J. Berk, Ltd. make up one of the finest organizations of professional numismatics in America today. Whether you are interested in the disposal of your holdings or in adding new pieces to your collection, we can help you both inexpensively and efficiently. Our Experts will provide courteous and professional services in numismatics and collectibles.
Harlan J. Berk, Ltd. is located in downtown Chicago’s business and financial district that contains three galleries of coins and antiquities which are available for viewing during business hours. For research and our ancient coin customers we have nearby private offices, libraries, and meeting places.