On the evening of December 15, 2016, Legend Rare Coin Auctions held its 19th Regency Auction, offering 514 lots in the Official Auction for the PCGS Members Show. The results were impressive overall with a number of record-shattering realizations. Two core collections anchored the sale: the Angel Dee’s Collection of Toned Buffalo Nickels, The Young-Dakota Collection of Proof Barber Dimes, and Part 2 of the Northern Lights Collection of Monster Toned Morgan Dollars.
From the first lot, strength was seen throughout the session.
“Clearly Legend Auctions dominates the colored Morgan dollar market!” declared Laura Sperber. “On top of that, we saw a record number of new bidders register to bid, and many were successful bidders. We look forward to working with them more in the future.”
Julie Abrams, President of Legend Auctions, added, “After 19 Regency Auctions, our boutique style sales have attracted many serious bidders and this auction showed just how much we’ve grown. From the beginning of the show every seat was filled during lot viewing and the room was as crowded as I’ve ever seen – making for heated bidding and huge prices. It was a truly exciting sale and a wonderful way to end the year.”
The highlights were numerous, below is a sample of some of the highlight coins and their prices (all include the 17.5% Buyers Premium).
- Lot 16 1C 1914-D PCGS MS66 RB CAC , realized $30,550
- Lot 53 5C 1901 PCGS PR67+ CAM CAC , realized $6,169
- Lot 55 5C 1913 TYPE I. MS68 CAC EX ANGEL DEE’S, realized $28,200
- Lot 113 5C 1936-D PCGS MS67+ CAC EX ANGEL DEE’S, realized $10,575
- Lot 144 5C 1913 TYPE II. PCGS PR68 CAC , realized $58,750
- Lot 193 10C 1898-O PCGS MS67+ CAC EX SIMPSON, realized $36,425
- Lot 208 10C 1902 PCGS PR66 CAC , EX DAKOTA-YOUNG, realized $4,583
- Lot 209 10C 1903 PCGS PR67 CAC EX DAKOTA-YOUNG, realized $5,875
- Lot 305 50C 1838 PCGS MS66, realized $45,825
- Lot 365 $1 1879-S PCGS MS67 CAC EX NORTHERN LIGHTS, realized $16,450
- Lot 378 $1 1898-O PCGS MS66 DMPL CAC EX NORTHERN LIGHTS, realized $18,800
- Lot 436 $2.50 1895 PCGS MS66 CAC , realized $8,813
- Lot 456 $5 1892 PCGS PR65 DCAM EX BAREFORD, realized $52,875
- Lot 502 1C 1858 J-213. PCGS PR65 CAM , realized $12,338
Laura Sperber continued, “Even in this somewhat choppy market, great coins will bring strong prices. There were so many coins that realized prices higher than we had originally anticipated. Ending 2016 with such strong realizations, proves Legend Auctions is a leader in the auction market for true quality coins and participation from the world’s top collectors.”
“We are excited to see what 2017 has in store. Our January 2017 Regency Auction catalog is already at the printer, and will be featuring the first portion of Bob Simpson’s collection of Standard Silver patterns-which are the ‘best of the best’!”
“As always, we are always looking for quality consignments for our Regency and Sessions Internet only auctions,” added senior numismatist Greg Cohen. “Our 2017 program includes Regency Auctions, held in conjunction with the PCGS Members Only Show in January, May, July, October, and December, and Internet-only Sessions Auction in every month that we do not have a Regency Auction; contact us today to discuss your holdings. We look forward to working with you! At Legend Rare Coin Auctions, we can offer you competitive consignment terms and very generous cash advances. And your coins will not be mixed into a phonebook sized offering.”
For more information, please visit www.legendauctions.com.
* * *
Legend Rare Coin Auctions (LRCA), based in Lincroft, NJ, is a boutique-style rare coin auction firm.
Connect with Legend Rare Coin Auctions on social media: