Bidding is now open in Heritage’s Showcase Auction of Modern Collectible US Coins and Bullion, with the concluding live session scheduled for 6 PM CT on Monday, June 13. This auction focuses primarily on American bullion coinage, along with a small but important selection of modern commemorative coinage.
From 2006 to 2008, the United States Mint offered Uncirculated Platinum Eagles directly to collectors, instead of strictly through third parties. These coins were struck on burnished blanks, were noticeably sharper in strike than ordinary Uncirculated coins, and–possibly most importantly–bore the West Point Mint’s “W” mintmark. These offerings did not prove popular, leading to the cancellation of these issues in 2009.
But as with many Mint offerings that were not popular at the time of issue, these have gained popularity over time – in no small part thanks to their small mintages. An example of these issues is lot 91070, the 2006-W one ounce American Platinum Eagle, graded MS70 by PCGS. The assigned grade of MS70 is, by definition, unsurpassable, and the tiny mintage of 3,068 coins only serves to increase collector interest in this unusual modern offering.
Some of the other notable lots in this auction include:
- 2000-W $10 Library of Congress Bimetallic Ten Dollar MS70 NGC
- 1995-W $1 Silver Eagle PR69 Deep Cameo PCGS
- 2004 $50 One-Ounce Gold Eagle MS70 NGC
- 2004-W $100 One-Ounce American Platinum Eagle, Statue of Liberty PR70 Deep Cameo PCGS
- 2015-W $100 High Relief One-Ounce Gold, First Strike, Liberty Label, MS70 PCGS
- 2019-S $1 Silver Eagle, Enhanced Reverse Proof, First Day of Issue, Mercanti Signature, PR70 NGC
- 2020-W $1 Silver Eagle, v75 Privy, First Strike, PR70 Deep Cameo PCGS
Bid on the coins in this auction at Coins.HA.com.