Vintage Russian coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) did extremely well at the SINCONA sale of Russian coins and medals, held October 21, 2019, in Zurich, Switzerland. The top five coins in the sale were all NGC-certified and realized more than $1 million combined.
The most impressive result was achieved by a Russia 1701 2 Ducats graded NGC AU Details that realized 480,000 CHF (about $483,000 USD). This coin was among the first round coins struck by machinery in Russia as part of Peter the Great’s bold monetary reform, which helped to finance the Russian army, create a navy and build infrastructure. These efforts ultimately established the Russian Empire as an important player in European and international politics.
“NGC’s expert certification gave our bidders great comfort,” says Jürg Richter, President of SINCONA. “As a result, many of the NGC-certified coins in our recent sales achieved exceptional prices.”
“The 1701 2 Ducats is not only an interesting numismatic artifact, but it is also extremely rare,” says NGC Chairman and Grading Finalizer Mark Salzberg. “NGC is honored to have certified this coin and many of the other rarities in SINCONA’s October sales.”
The following NGC-certified coins also sold for high prices in the Russian Coins and Medals sale:
- A Russia 1902 37.5 Roubles (100 Francs) graded NGC MS 61 realized 180,000 CHF (about $181,000 USD).
- A Russia 1834 Platinum 12 Roubles graded NGC PF 66 Ultra Cameo realized 180,000 CHF (about $181,000 USD).
- A Russia 1836 1 1/2 Roubles (10 Zlotych) graded NGC MS 62 realized 96,000 CHF (about $96,600 USD).
- A Russia 1801 Pattern Rouble graded NGC AU 58 realized 78,000 CHF (about $78,500 USD).
- A Russia 1762 5 Roubles graded NGC AU 55 realized 66,000 CHF (about $66,400 USD).
- A Russia 1836 1 1/2 Roubles (10 Zlotych) graded NGC MS 61 realized 48,000 CHF (about $48,300 USD).
- A Russia 1807 Rouble graded NGC SP 63+ Cameo realized 43,200 CHF (about $43,500 USD).
- A Russia 1779 10 Roubles graded NGC MS 62 realized 24,000 CHF (about $24,150 USD).
To date, NGC has certified over 170,000 Russian coins. For more information, about NGC, visit NGCcoin.com.
For more information about SINCONA, visit SINCONA.com.
* * *
About Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®)
NGC is one of the world’s largest and most trusted third-party grading services for coins, tokens, and medals, with more than 44 million collectibles certified. Founded in 1987, NGC strives to provide an accurate, consistent and impartial assessment of authenticity and grade. Every coin that NGC certifies is backed by the comprehensive NGC Guarantee of authenticity and grade, which gives buyers greater confidence. To learn more, visit NGCcoin.com.