Auction: Friday, May 19th at 11 am EST with Preview: May 16-18
Roland Auctions NY is proud to present the seventh of many specialized auctions containing collections from the Estate of Dr. Alan York. A nationally renowned and esteemed collector, Dr. York’s vast historical holdings tell the story of Western Civilization and the history of the United States of America from George Washington’s 1789 inauguration through the new millennium.
Worldwide Philately begins the auction and is highlighted by better singles, sets and collections of United States and French Offices in China, Fiume, World War II propaganda, Jewish ghetto and internment camp issues, General Government revenues, post-World War II Germany, as well as an advanced grouping of United States Civil War and British anti-slavery theme envelopes.
Counterfeit English Banknotes
Following this section, and comprising over 300 lots, is Dr. York’s painstakingly assembled collection of World War II Numismatics. This scholarly group introduces a meticulously curated one-of-a-kind collection of scarce to rare specimens only seen once in a lifetime. A partial list of highlights includes:
- British and Commonwealth internment camp coins and currency from East Africa, Ireland, Channel Islands, India, and Australia.
- Internment and prisoner of war camp chits/coupons from the United States, France and elsewhere.
- Third Reich labor, internment and concentration camp coupons/notes from Auschwitz, Birkenau, Mauthausen, Dachau, Gross-Rosen, Neuengamme, Buchenwald, Sachsenhausen, Ravensbruck, Flossenburg, Oranienburg, Mittelbau-Dora, Amersfoort, Westerbork, Herzogenbusch, and elsewhere .
- Jewish ghetto notes, coins and ration coupons from Theresienstadt, Warsaw and a very advanced study of the diverse issues from Litzmannstadt (Lodz) including specimens.
- Post-World War II displaced persons and refugee notes including highlights from Deggendorf, Feldafing and the Cyprus American Joint Distribution Committee.
- German “Operation Bernhard” forgeries of British “white” notes as well as genuine £100 notes.
- General Government prisoner of war and internment camp notes from Murnau, Grossborn and Woldenberg.
- Jewish winter help issues and Palestine immigration fund related materials.
The Estate of Dr. Alan York: Philately and World War II Numismatics is a small portion of a larger, massive, curated historical archive assembled over the course of more than a half century.
As a whole, this “mega-collection” chronicles nearly all the notable events and moments from the United States’ nascent beginnings to the powerful nation of present day.
Other substantial holdings to be sold exclusively by Roland Auctions NY throughout 2017 comprise: Historic Americana, Important Political Ephemera, Cold War Space Race, and others.
Important categories comprising Dr. York’s encyclopedic trove include: Abolition, The Civil War, Abraham Lincoln’s Assassination, The Temperance Movement, The Suffragette Movement, Long Island History, both World Wars, John F. Kennedy’s Assassination, The Vietnam War, The Civil Rights Movement, The Cold War, The Space Race, and more.
ROLAND AUCTIONS NY
80 East 11th Street
New York, New York 10003
Phone: (212) 260-2000
Friday, May 19, 2017 at 11:00 AM EST
Tuesday, May 16, 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM EST
Wednesday, May 17, 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM EST
Thursday, May 18, 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM EST
Roland Auctions NY is the Greenwich Village auction gallery owned and operated by Bill and Robert Roland. Proud to announce its fifth year, Roland’s team of specialists brings a combined century of appraisal skills to all consignments, from individual items to large estates nationwide. Roland Auctions NY was the exclusive auction gallery for the estates of: Broadway producer and writer Arthur Laurents, Palm Beach philanthropist and socialite Dame Celia Lipton Farris, folk-artist/outsider metal sculptor Charles Lamb, Leon Fischer’s important collection of James Ensor Paintings, and the U.S. Presidential Campaign Ephemera Collection of Dr. Alan York.