In partnership with Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers, Stack’s Bowers Galleries showcased Numismatic Literature relating to the magnificent collection of Colonel E.H.R. Green as part of their August 2017 Official Auction of the ANA World’s Fair of Money in Denver, Colorado.
This group of seven lots was offered in Session I, on August 1, 2017. Offered were books, inventories and appraisals, including F.C.C. Boyd’s extensive original appraisal of the Colonel E.H.R. Green Collection and the famous photographic record of Colonel Green’s collections of United States quarter eagles, half eagles and eagles–a three-volume set of great rarity. In addition to their connection with Colonel E.H.R. Green, the items feature associations to important numismatic figures like M.L. Beistle, F.C.C. Boyd, Waldo Newcomer, and Morton Stack. These are historic volumes of superb research value and all were once in the libraries of either the Stack family or John J. Ford, Jr. A unique opportunity for the numismatic literature collector!
The seven numismatic literature items featured were acquired for their specific association with Colonel E.H.R. Green, a numismatic character of particular interest to collectors. Green was not only one of the great collectors of the 20th century, but he was also a man with a fascinating back story who lived a colorful life. Some brief biographical notes are included in the sale catalogue, but like many famous numismatists, his story is worthy of further exploration.
- Lot 67: F.C.C. Boyd’s Extensive Original Appraisal of the Legendary Colonel E.H.R. Green Collection – A Contemporary Record of one of the Greatest American Collections – SOLD $30,550
- Lot 68: The Fabled Photographic Record of the Colonel Green Collections of United States Quarter Eagles, Half Eagles, & Eagles – Morton Stack’s Personal Copy – SOLD $35,250
- Lot 69: M. L. Beistle’s Register of Half Dollar Die Varieties Deluxe Leatherbound Edition Copy No. 1, Inscribed to Colonel E.H.R. Green SOLD $9,400
- Lot 70: A Supplementary Green Estate Appraisal by F.C.C. Boyd With His Expenses for the Appraisal SOLD $493.50
- Lot 71: Inventory Records Pertaining to The Colonel E.H.R. Green Collection and its Formation – SOLD $1,880
- Lot 72: Estate Record of Colonel Green’s Latin American Gold Coins – SOLD $2,350
- Lot 73: B. Max Mehl’s Offering of Waldo Newcomer’s U.S. Gold Coins with Complete Listings of Coins and Introductory Texts – SOLD $3,290
* * *
Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC is a licensed and bonded auction firm in the State of Ohio. For more information, please see the Kolbe & Fanning website at numislit.com or email David Fanning at [email protected].