Stack’s Bowersand Ponterio will present an exceptional selection of over 4,000 lots of world and ancient coins and paper money at the Official NYINC Auction, January 8-14, 2013. The four-day auction event offers catalogs spotlighting a multitude of collections and highlights, including The Robert O. Ebert Collection.
Comprised of over 1,700 gold, silver and bronze coins spanning from the early Republic era to the Byzantine Empire, The Ebert Collection focuses on the coinage during the reign of Emperor Hadrian, including Provincial, Aelius Caesar, Antinoüs and Sabina coinage.
“Excitement surrounding what is perhaps the most comprehensive private collection of Hadrian coins has been intense,” said Richard Ponterio, executive vice president of Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio. “More than 800 of the Hadrian coins in this collection would have made a wonderful assemblage all on their own, but Mr. Ebert supplemented the assortment with Aurei, Denarii, Sestertii, Quadrans, Asses, Dupondii, Cistophori and Bronze Medallions of other emperors. Not only did he succeed in composing an academic collection of denominations, types and variants, but also vied for the best quality possible, all across the board.”
One of the highlights offered in this collection is a superb Gold Aureus of the DIVIS PARENTIBVS type (RIC 232B). Its reverse portrays a facing, miniature bust of his adoptive father Trajan, and the Empress Plotina, Trajan’s widow. Among the multitude of Bronzes in the collection is a Medallion of Hadrian, featuring a youthful, bearded bust of the emperor on the obverse. The reverse is adorned by a beautifully rendered, balanced scene portraying Silvanus, the Roman god of uncultivated land, walking toward a temple at the base, of which is a lighted altar with a sacrificial animal.
In addition to the Hadrian coins featured in The Robert O. Ebert Collection are gold, silver and bronze issues that further reflect Roman history, and span from the early Roman Republic era to the late Imperial period. Among more than 100 gold pieces are nearly four-dozen Gold Aurei, showcased by a Mint State Aureus of Pertinax with Laetitia (RIC 4(a), and silver Denarii that are generally in stellar condition, much like a very-well centered Julius Caesar portrait Denarius.
“The Robert O. Ebert Collection is sure to be the highlight of the NYINC Auction,” said Kent Ponterio, senior numismatist of world and ancient coins for Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio. “The combination of specialized Hadrian coins and type-oriented Roman coinage will allow collectors to go home with something special for their cabinets, whether it be a specific RIC number of a Hadrian Sestertius, or one of the more than 100 Aurei in the collection.”
“It is always exciting to begin the New Year in New York at the NYINC show,” said Richard Ponterio, executive vice president of Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio. “We have a tremendous auction to present this year, offering a vast selection of lots, including the impressive Ebert Collection, which is sure to draw bidders from all over the world.”
Highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio Official NYINC sale include:
- Lot 53, SICILY. Syracuse. Dionysus I, 406-367 B.C. AR Decadrachm (42.19 gms), ca. 400-390 B.C. CHOICE EXTREMELY FINE.
- Lot 195, MYSIA. Cyzicus. EL Stater (15.90 gms), ca. 400-350 B.C. BOLD VERY FINE.
- Lot 294, PERSIA. Alexandrian Empire. Babylon. AV Double Daric (17.18 gms), Mazaios as Satrap of Babylon (331-328 B.C), ca. 331-328 B.C. BOLD VERY FINE.
- Lot 1026, GREAT BRITAIN. The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Collar Badge (The George), ND (Instituted 1348). EXTREMELY FINE.
- Lot 1319, GREAT BRITAIN. Siege of Pontefract. Shilling, 1648. NGC AU-50.
- Lot 1426, INDIA. Rupee, 1939. Bombay Mint. NGC AU-58.
- Lot 1517, MEXICO. 8 Reales, 1732-F. EXTREMELY FINE.
- Lot 2029, GALBA, A.D. 68-69. AV Aureus (7.36 gms), Rome Mint, ca. 68 A.D. NEARLY EXTREMELY FINE.
- Lot 2030, OTHO, A.D. 69. AV Aureus (7.20 gms), Rome Mint. VERY FINE.
- Lot 2211, BRAZIL. 20,000 Reis, 1726-M. NGC MS-63.
- Lot 2343, GREAT BRITAIN. Sovereign, ND (1551-53). NGC EF-45.
- Lot 2345, GREAT BRITAIN. Unite, 1649. NGC AU-55.
- Lot 2359, GREAT BRITAIN. Edward VII (1901-1910). Pattern Crown in Gold, 1902. PCGS SP-62.
- Lot 2365, GUATEMALA. 8 Escudos, 1824-M. NGC AU-58.
- Lot 2417, INDIA. East India Company. 2 Mohurs Restrike, 1835. Calcutta Mint. NGC PL-65 ULTRA CAMEO.
- Lot 2553, MEXICO. Culiacan. 2 1/2 Pesos, 1893-CnM. PCGS MS-64 Secure Holder.
- Lot 3173, EGYPT. National Bank of Egypt. 50 Pounds, 23.10.1916. P-15s. PCGS Choice About New 58 PPQ.
- Lot 3193, EQUATORIAL AFRICAN STATES. Banque Centrale. 10,000 Francs, ND (1968). P-7pe. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64 EPQ.
- Lot 3318, IRAN. Imperial Bank of Persia. 1 Toman, 12.2.1924. P-1. PMG Choice Extremely Fine 45.
- Lot 3444, LIBYA. Military Authority in Tripolitania. 1,000 Lire, ND (1943). P-M8a. Very Fine.
- Lot 3514, PALESTINE. Palestine Currency Board. 5 Pounds, 1.9.1927. P-8a. PMG Very Fine 20.
All lot descriptions and images in the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio Official NYINC Auction will be available to view online beginning December 2012 via StacksBowers.com. Printed catalogs are available upon request by calling 800.458.4646. Online bidding and pre-auction bids will also begin in December on StacksBowers.com, by email at auction@StacksBowers.com and by phone at 800.458.4646.
About Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is the world and ancients auction division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. It was founded in 1982 as Ponterio & Associates by Richard Ponterio, renowned specialist in world and ancient numismatics, who is now executive vice president of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. Past auctions have included such notable coin collections as the Wa She Wong Collection, the John S. Davenport Collection, the Witte Museum Collection, the Amat Collection, the Joe Lasser Collection, and the James Hunnicut Collection. Distinguished paper money collections include the East Bay Collection of International Bank Notes, and the Eduard Kann Chinese Bank Note Collection, along with treasure collections from the shipwrecks “Nicobar,” “Rooswijk,” and “Capitana.” For more information about the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio Official NYINC Auction, call 949.253.0916 or visit StacksBowers.com.