The Tidewater Type Collection is a wide-ranging U.S. Type set spanning the history of United States Coinage. Mostly complete, the coins were put together with a keen eye towards quality and overall value. A few better dates are included as they were viewed as above-average quality, and the diversity of the coins was enjoyed by the long-time collector. Unfortunately the time did come for the original collector to pass along the coins to another, and we were proud that he chose us to offer his pieces in this week’s auction. Highlights from the Tidewater Type Collection include:
- 1793 1/2c PCGS VF25
- 1793 Wreath 1c PCGS VF25 (Vine/Bars)
- 1797 H10c NGC AU55 (15 Stars)
- 1807 10c PCGS/CAC MS63+
- 1806 25c PCGS/CAC MS62
- 1890 50c PCGS MS67 ex: Eliasberg
- 1795 Flowing Hair $1 NGC/CAC XF40 (3 Leaves)
- 1797 $1 PCGS XF45 (10 x 6 stars)
- 1799 $1 PCGS MS63 (B-16, BB-158, Retro OGH Holder)
- 1836 Gobrecht $1 PCGS/CAC Proof 45 (Name on Base, Original, Coin Alignment)
- 1831 2 1/2 PCGS AU55
- 1811 $5 PCGS AU53 (Small 5)
- 1823 $5 PCGS AU58
All lots will begin closing at 8pm EST on Sunday, June 3. Some of the more interesting pieces from the rest of our auction include:
- 1794 1/2c PCGS/CAC XF45 (C-1a, Lg Edge Letters)
- 1795 1/2c NGC AU53 BN (No Pole, Thin, C-6a)
- 1868 3cS PCGS/CAC MS66
- 1795 H10c PCGS AU55
- 1800 H10c NGC AU50
- 1827 10c PCGS/CAC MS64
- 1828 25c NGC MS63
- 1839 25c PCGS/CAC MS64 (No Drapery)
- 1837 50c NGC/CAC MS64 (GR-13)
- 1799 $1 PCGS/CAC XF40
- 1893-O $1 NGC/CAC MS62
- 1890 $1 PCGS/CAC Proof 64+ CAM
- 1851-D G$1 NGC MS62
- 1854 G$1 PCGS/CAC MS63+ (Type 2)
- 1846-D 2 1/2 PCGS AU58
- 1807 $5 NGC/CAC AU58 (Bust Left)
- 1857-D $5 PCGS/CAC AU58+
- 1901 $10 PCGS/CAC MS66
Our first highlight is a 1799 $1 PCGS MS63 (B-16, BB-158, Retro OGH Holder). Large eagle Bust dollar type coin. Previously auctioned for over $45,000, this piece is destined for a high-end type set.
This week’s second highlight coin is an 1868 3cS PCGS/CAC MS66. Beautiful rainbow tones throughout with fantastic underlying luster. Coming from a miniscule mintage of 3,500 coins, the 1868 silver three cent is scarce in all grades and rare at the Mint State level. It is arguably rarer in Mint State grades than the 1867. Only a single coin is known finer than the present piece, placing this example firmly within the Condition Census.
Of course there are many other highlights, so be sure to browse all lots in this exciting new sale before it closes on Sunday, June 3.
If you have any questions about coins in our auctions, or items for direct purchase, please call us at 800-776-0560, or send an email and we will get back to you immediately.
Thanks for browsing our inventory and participating in our auction!
* * *
READY TO SELL A COIN OR COLLECTION? SELL IT TO DAVID LAWRENCE RARE COINS
We always need coins. When you are ready to sell, we’re here for you. David Lawrence offers three options that provide maximum flexibility to meet your needs, while providing the highest quality personal service in the industry:
- You can sell your coins to us outright.
- You can consign your coins.
- You can participate in our Guaranteed Auction Program.
When the time comes to consider selling your coins, we’ll help you realize the highest amount for your collection.