Every year, Heritage Auctions looks forward to the Long Beach Expo as the perfect start to the fall, and our September 7-11 auction of US coins is another great example. The Premier Session, featuring the finest lots in this auction, is scheduled for 9:00 PM CT on Thursday, September 8, immediately following the Boka Collection.
We have seen some trends over the past few months — confirmed by our auctions at Central States, Summer FUN, and the recent ANA — that suggest the rare coin market is picking up momentum. Leading the way is material that has been off the market for many years – particularly coins from established collections still in their original holders of purchase, or those that have recently been certified for the first time. This auction is fill of these kinds of coins.
Our Long Beach Expo featured collections include:
Right: The finest-known 1794 S-19a Discovery Coin, XF40 PCGS. From The Al Boka Collection, Part II
- The Jon Alan Boka Collection of 1794 Large Cents, a comprehensive collection of 1794 large cent varieties that is so important as to merit its own catalog. Only 58 coins are in this collection, but fully 47 of those are in the top ten finest for their variety, with 35 in the traditional Condition Census of the top six in the variety.
- The Ohio Valley Collection, an extensive collection formed by an Ohio gentleman over a number of decades. This impressive collection of more than 1200 lots is clearly focused on gold and silver issues, but with a few early copper and other type coins represented as well. While Mint State coins are well-represented, most of the collection grades from Choice VF to AU58. Virtually every coin was obviously selected for eye appeal and original, sharply struck surfaces. The gold issues are particularly strong from gold dollars through double eagles, including early issues.
- The Pennsylvania Common Man Collection of Liberty $10 Eagles, containing all dates, mintmarks, and most Guide Book varieties for the eagle series, minus the nearly unobtainable 1875 Philadelphia ten. The collection is a blueprint for an affordable way to obtain a near-complete collection of this challenging series, heretofore a largely unthinkable possibility for the average collector.
- The Hamilton Collection, Part II, additional offerings from the collection featured in our recent ANA Signature event. Once again, early and Capped Bust halves are the greater part of the consignment, but numerous other interesting copper, silver, and gold type coins are included. Of special note are a number of off-center and double-struck Bust halves that are sure to attract both error and Bust half specialists.
- The Dr. Bruce Mesara Collection, highlighted by Saint-Gaudens double eagles, Seated dollars, Trade dollars, and key date Morgan dollars.
- The Al Anthony Collection, a PCGS Registry Set that ranks in the top 12 of the Lincoln Cents Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1909- 1958) in the Current Finest category.
- The Puget Sound Collection, with Carson City dollars, half dollars, quarters, and a twenty cent piece joining a nice group of Standing Liberty quarters in this carefully assembled collection of better-date silver issues.
- The Bristol Collection, formed by a longtime numismatist, coin dealer, and dedicated Kennedy half aficionado who grew up in Dallas, Texas, and was a teenager there when President Kennedy met his tragic death in 1963. A couple of his PCGS Registry Sets attained the #1 ranking, notably the Kennedy Half Dollars Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes (1964-Present), the first such set ever to attain 100% completion (in 2015).
- The GATOR Collection, Part II, additional selections from this collection that focus mainly on early to mid- 19th century copper and scarce silver issues.
- The Commander Collection, Part II, another small but meaningful consignment of numismatically significant and seldom-seen issues.
Individual highlights from this auction include:
- 1794 1C Head of 1793, Edge of 1794, S-18b, B-2b, R.4, AU58+ PCGS Secure
- 1794 1C Head of 1794, S-21, B-5, R.3, MS64 Brown PCGS Secure
- 1794 1C Head of 1794, Starred Reverse, S-48, B-38, Low R.5, VF35 PCGS Secure
- 1794 1C Head of 1794, S-64, B-50, Low R.5, VF35 PCGS Secure
- 1909-S 1C VDB MS67 Red PCGS Secure
- 1964 50C SMS MS67 PCGS
- 1795 $1 Flowing Hair, Three Leaves, B-7, BB-18, MS61 PCGS Secure
- 1800 $1 B-4, BB-186, MS62 PCGS
- 1910-D $5 MS66 PCGS. CAC
- 1861-O $20 AU53 NGC
US Large Cents Currently Available on eBay