By TOREX …..
The November 18-19, 2017 TOREX was a very high energy numismatic event hosting Canada’s finest dealers at its home at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in downtown Toronto. TOREX was very pleased to welcome new TOREX dealer Morris Kosowan (Classic Cash) from Alberta, who will be returning to the bourse in 2018. The TOREX auction was very busy with record high attendance. The Royal Canadian Numismatic Association’s (RCNA) “Kid’s Table” presented by Elizabeth and Emma from the RCNA was a big hit again with the young numismatists. The Canadian Tire Coupon Collector’s Club reported another great turn-out.
Thank you to all show attendees who took the time to complete TOREX comment cards. We really appreciate it! The following were just some of the many positive comments we were very pleased to receive at this show:
- “Very well run show, excellent quality everywhere.” – Mark S.
- “Everything is wonderful.” – Ella B.
- “First time. Didn’t find everything I was looking for but made a lot of connections. Have contact info sheet for all vendors given out with a bag.” – Darren D.
- “This show has good selections, better than before. Keep it up!”
– Elena A.
- “Excellent – Very good.” – Jacinto C.
- “Great show!” – Pierre W.
- “Thank you for such an amazing show.” – Jossef K.
- “Like the playing card money.” – Doug H.
- “Very informative.” – Jennifer L.
- “Well done.” – David B.
- “Excellent show with a real buzz and energy – very animated, A plus, top drawer, superb experience.” – Brian H.
- “Yes, for serious collectors.” – David M.
- “Awesome!” – Mackenzie D.
We were very happy again to receive many positive comments from show attendees and dealers throughout the weekend event. Thanks to everyone for coming out and we look forward to seeing you again at our next show in February 2018!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from everyone at TOREX!
November TOREX Auction
It’s been a busy year for us, with no less than 17 separate Auction Sales held this year by our firm.
The year concluded with a four-session sale, two of which were held in conjunction with the TOREX venue. Sessions 1 & 2 were held at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Toronto November 17 and 18, and featured approximately 1,100 lots of various World and Canadian Coins, Banknotes & Tokens. Some highlights worthy of mention include:
- Lot #58: 1866 $1 PC-2c PMG VG8 $10 – $350.00 CAD
- Lot #67: 1870 $2 DC-3b PMG F12 – $8,050.00 CAD
- Lot #161: Rare 1935 $1,000 BC-20 French CCCS EF45 – $21,850.00 CAD
- Lot #201: 1954 $5 BC-31aA Replacement issue – $23,000.00 CAD
- Lot #253: 1986 $2 BC-55b AUH issue – $18,400.00 CAD
- Lot #890: 1871 50¢ ICCS MS63 – $12,650.00 CAD
- Lot #891: 1872H 50¢ A/V PCGS/ICCS MS62 – $40,250.00 CAD
- Lot #898: 1888 50¢ ICCS MS62 – $16,100.00 CAD
- Lot #901: 1892 50¢ ICCS MS63 – $20,125.00 CAD
- Lots #1016 through #1023: French Colonial Playing Cards, all selling for well over estimates
This sale saw a record-high attendance and bidding action on the internet platform – which did in some way hinder Auction progress slightly, especially during session I. But of course, this was all for the right reasons, we are sure all consignors would agree. We would say that we are all very satisfied with the overall attendance on both the floor and the internet and the final sales results were proof of another successful sale. We are not those to be pessimistic and yet we choose to be very careful in our optimism. We would put forward that the 2017 Auction results do suggest a steady market trend moving forward into the 2018 season. All be it that very few sales ever show a 100% sales rate, it is positive to note that approximately 75% of the material offered in this sale was sold. Even though the percentage of sales prices vary from item to item depending on the importance of date and quality, this remains an affirmation that there exists extensive interest in the numismatic market.
This being the end of the season, we would take the opportunity to thank all the participants, consignors, bidders and viewers alike for supporting our sales as well as our hobby and we would wish all of you a very Happy Holiday Season and all the Best in the New Year.
We Have a Winner!
Congratulations to Saturday TOREX raffle winner Nicholas W. and Sunday winner Maria M. They were each the lucky recipients of a 2017 Royal Canadian Mint specimen set, which pays tribute to a Canadian icon with a one-dollar coin featuring the beloved snow goose in a dramatic pose, preparing to land on a quiet northern lake.
Upcoming February TOREX
Please join us again on February 24-25, 2018 at the Hyatt Regency on King for another exciting weekend of all things numismatic!
TOREX would like to thank the following for their contributions and support: the TOREX Dealers (Canada’s Finest); The Canadian Numismatic Company (TCNC); The Hyatt Regency on King for providing wonderful facilities and their really hard working and dependable staff; Target Security and Investigation Services; Andrew Fiutek – TOREX database programmer; Manpower; PackP – audio/visual services; Canadian Coin News; The Royal Canadian Numismatic Association (RCNA); the Canadian Association of Numismatic Dealers (CAND); Discount Truck Rentals; Bill Cross, the late Ingrid K. Smith and Jim Charlton, and all other previous TOREX show owners and directors.
The TOREX Coin Show & Auctions is Canada’s oldest commercial coin show, hosted 3 times per year at the Hyatt Regency on King in downtown Toronto. TOREX is the best place to buy, sell, trade and evaluate your coins, ask questions relating to numismatics, obtain information about area coin clubs, and meet other numismatic enthusiasts.
* * *
For more information please visit www.torex.net and don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!
NGC-Certified Canadian Silver Maple Leaf Coins Currently Available on eBay