Continuing a longstanding tradition, Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio will again serve as an official auctioneer at the New York International Numismatic Convention, presenting 2,945 lots of world and ancient coins and paper money during three sessions, January 4-9, 2012.
Session One will offer Ancient Coins and World Gold on January 6, and Session Two will present Crowns & Minors and Orders & Decorations on January 7, with both sessions being held during the convention at the Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue. Session Three offers World Paper Money on January 9 and will be held at the Stack’s Bowers Galleries New York location at 110 West 57th Street.
Lot viewing will be conducted by appointment at the firm’s Irvine, California, headquarters through December 14, at the firm’s New York office December 20-January 3 (closed December 24-26 and December 31-January 1 for the holidays), and onsite at the Waldorf=Astoria in the 18th Floor Morgan Suite January 4-7.
“It is always a thrill to begin the New Year in New York City at the N.Y.I.N.C. show, which is such an exciting international numismatic event,” said Rick Ponterio, president of Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio. “We have a tremendous auction to present this year, offering such a vast selection of lots that we are pleased to expand it to three days of auction sessions. The auction will draw bidders from all over the world, in the auction room and online, and we have an incredible selection on the block for collectors of all interests and levels.”
World coin highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio Official N.Y.I.N.C. Auction include:
• Lot 457 AUSTRIA. Salzburg. 8 Ducats, 1594. NGC MS-63.
• Lot 488 BRAZIL. 12,800 Reis, 1727-B. NGC AU-58.
• Lot 489 BRAZIL. 12,800 Reis, 1733-M. NGC MS-65.
• Lot 645 CUBA. 20 Pesos, 1915. NGC PROOF-63.
• Lot 692 GERMANY. Wurzburg. 10 Ducat, 1707. NGC MS-61.
• Lot 703 GREAT BRITAIN. 5 Guineas, 1705. NGC AU-58.
• Lot 863 ITALY. 100 Lire, 1912-R. NGC MS-64.
• Lot 993 SOUTH AFRICA. Veld Pond, 1902. NGC AU-55.
World paper money highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio Official N.Y.I.N.C. Auction include:
• Lot 4278 GREENLAND. Danish Administration, Kongel. Gronlandske Handel. 1 Rigsdaler. 1803. P-A4. Fine-Very Fine. Serial Number “2.” From the Bruce Levy Collection of Greenland’s Paper Money
• Lot 4289 GREENLAND. Danish Administration, Handelsstederne. 6 Skilling, 1848. P-A27. Choice About Uncirculated. From the Bruce Levy Collection of Greenland’s Paper Money
• Lot 4344 GREENLAND. Danish Administration, Den Kongelige Gronlandske Handel. 50 Ore. 1911. P-8a. Choice Uncirculated. Serial Number “1.” From the Bruce Levy Collection of Greenland’s Paper Money
• Lot 4347 GREENLAND. Danish Administration, Den Kongelige Gronlandske Handel. 5 Kroner. 1911. P-10a. Choice Uncirculated. Serial Number “1.” From the Bruce Levy Collection of Greenland’s Paper Money
• Lot 4391 GREENLAND. Danish Administration, Gronlands Styrelse. 50 Kroner. ND (1945). P-17a. Choice Uncirculated. From the Bruce Levy Collection of Greenland’s Paper Money
• Lot 4646 PUERTO RICO. Spanish Administration. 3 Pesos. 1815. P-5. Choice Very Fine.
• Lot 4649 PUERTO RICO. Spanish Administration. 5 Pesos. 1819. P-6. Very Fine.
• Lot 4677 PUERTO RICO. Banco de Puerto Rico. 200 Pesos. ND (ca.1901-04). P-46p. Uncirculated. Proof.
• Lot 4678 PUERTO RICO. Banco de Puerto Rico. 5 Pesos. 1.7.1909. P-47a. Very Fine.
All lot descriptions and images in the N.Y.I.N.C Auction can be viewed online at the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website, www.stacksbowers.com. Printed catalogs are available upon request by calling 949.253.0916. Online bidding is open and pre-auction bids will be accepted at www.stacksbowers.com; by e-mail at email@example.com; by phone at 949.253.0916; by fax at 949.253.4091; and by postal mail addressed to Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio, N.Y.I.N.C. 2012, 1063 McGaw Avenue, Suite 100, Irvine, CA, 92614. Interested bidders are also encouraged to view lots onsite in New York in January and bid in-person at the live auction, or live online through the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website. A complete auction and lot viewing schedule is available at www.stacksbowers.com or by calling 949.253.0916.
About Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is the world and ancients auction division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. It was founded in 1982 as Ponterio & Associates by Richard Ponterio, renowned specialist in world and ancient numismatics, who is now executive vice president of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. Past auctions have included such notable coin collections as the Wa She Wong Collection, the John S. Davenport Collection, the Witte Museum Collection, the Amat Collection, the Joe Lasser Collection, and the James Hunnicut Collection. Distinguished paper money collections include the East Bay Collection of International Bank Notes, and the Eduard Kann Chinese Bank Note Collection, along with treasure collections from the shipwrecks “Nicobar,” “Rooswijk,” and “Capitana.”
For more information about the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio N.Y.I.N.C Auction, call 949.253.0916 or visit www.stacksbowers.com. For media inquiries, call Kris Briggs, marketing manager.