By Coinweek News Wire for March 16, 2018 ….
The government is not planning to axe 1p and 2p coins, Downing Street has said, after a brief if vehement media campaign against the idea, which had been floated in a Treasury paper released with the spring statement.
The Treasury paper published on Tuesday announced a consultation on cash and digital payments, and noted that many consumers no longer regularly used 1p and 2p coins, as well as the £50 note…
Almost a decade before Rosa Parks sparked the civil rights movement in the US, a woman in Nova Scotia kicked off Canada’s with a similar act of defiance at a segregated movie theater.
And this month, that woman, Viola Desmond, became the first black person to appear on Canadian currency. She’s also the first woman to appear alone who’s not a British royal…
Bernard Harold Ian Halley Stewart died on 3 March 2018. He is considered one of the most profound experts of British numismatics. We mourn the loss of a distinguished collector and researcher who also shaped his country’s (monetary) policy…
Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency
Cryptocurrency exchanges and related ventures will soon lose access to the two biggest ad networks on the internet. Starting in June, Google will no longer host advertisements promoting cryptocurrencies, exchanges, wallets and firms providing advice, as well as initial coin offerings. The big G has followed in Facebook’s footsteps, which banned ads promoting virtual coins back in January…
Now, cryptocurrency has yet another problem to deal with: cryptojacking. It’s the act of hacking a computer for use in cryptocurrency mining, usually without the owner knowing about it. It’s the newest evolution of malware — and it looks set to spread like wildfire…
Upon deeper reflection, the implications of illicit cryptomining are profoundly frightening. Perhaps there’s a way to stop this insidious infection from killing its host, which is nothing less than the global computing infrastructure.
There’s only one way to slay this beast. We must make all cryptocurrency as we know it today illegal…
Crime & Punishment
From the Numismatic Crime Information Center (NCIC):
The following note has been reported missing/stolen while in transit by US MAIL Priority Mail EXPRESS with signature. Shipped from Boca Raton, Florida on 2/26/18. Ship destination Glade Spring, Virginia. Package showed up empty after what appears to be conveyor belt damage.
The note is Fr. 2212-F 1934A $1000 Federal Reserve Note F00101018A graded PMG AU 50
The PMG tag number is: 16010920-001
* * *
UPDATED INVENTORY LIST
Updated list of coins and currency stolen from California dealer Brad Watts (Classic Currency) in a recent residential burglary
- PMG & PCGS 65 & 66 F-222A Series 1899 $ 1 Black Eagles
- PMG AU 55 Series 1874 $1 Rainbow
- PCGS & PMG Series 1917 $1 5 different grades
- PMG 58 EPQ Series 1869 $1 Rainbow
- PCGS 55 Series 1869 $1 Rainbow
- PCGS & PMG Series 1918 $1 Various grades & Districts
- PMG VF-30 Series 1891 $1 Martha Wash.
- PMG VF-30 Series 1896 $1 Educational
- PMG 66 Series 1923 $1 FR-237
- PMG AU-50 Series 1923 $1 FR-40
- PMG VF-35 Series 1862 $1 FR-16 Rep. Edge
- PMG VF-25 Series 1862 $1 FR-16
- PMG 63EPQ Series 1880 $1
- PMG XF-40 Series 1862 $2
- PMG VF-35 Series 1886 $2 Hancock
- PMG 64 Series 1886 $2 Hancock
- PCGS 65 Series 1896 $ 2 Educational
- PMG 63 Series 1891 $ 2 Mc Pherson
- PMG 64 Series 1891 $ 2 Mc Pherson PMG & PCGS Series 1917 $2 Six different grades
- PCGS VF 20 Series 1918 $2 Battleship K. C.
- PMG 66 EPQ Series 1899 $2
- PMG XF-40 Series 1899 $2 “MULE”
- PMG VF- 35 Series 1891 $2 WINDOM
- PMG VF-35 Series 1862 $5
- PMG 65 Series 1907 $5
- PCGS 63 Series 1880 $5 Brown Seal
- PCGS 63 Series UNK $ 5 Woodchopper
- PMG XF-40,VF-25,20 $ 5 Chiefs
- PMG 64 Series 1891 $ 5 Thomas
- PCGS 66 Series 1901 $10 Buffalo
- PCGS XF-45 Series 1901 $10 Buffalo
- PMG-30 Series 1914 $10 Red Seal
- PMG-25 Series 1891 $10 Tombstone
- PMG-64 Series 1891 $10 Sheridan
- PCGS & PMG Series 1907,1922 $10 Gold Notes
- PMG VF-25 Series 1886 $20 FR-316
- PMG-63 Series 1880 $20
- PMG VF-30,25 Series 1922 $50 Gold Note
- PMG -30,25 (2) Series 1914 $50
- PMG 64 Series 1914 $100 Blue Seal
- PMG & PCGS (3) RARE GRADED NATIONALS ONE FROM SLIGO, PA. BANK
- PMG & PCGS (8) High Grade OBSOLETES
SMALL SIZE NOTES
- PMG & PCGS (20) HAWAII & NORTH AFRICA Notes
- PMG HIGH GRADE Series 1953 $5 A’s & B’s Consec.
- PMG-66, AU-50 Series 1953 $10
- PCGS -66PPQ Series 1929 FRN Dallas $20
- PMG-64PPQ Series 1929 FRN Dallas $20
- PMG-65 Series 1929 FRN N.Y. $20
- Raw small size Gem Star $5 North Africa US Note Yellow Seal
- Raw small size packs of Hawaii & N. Africa,Various notes
- Raw $2 Red Seals (50) Series 1953 &1963 High Grade
- Raw $5& $2 Red Seals(40) Series 1928,1953,1963
- Raw Series 1923 $5 PORTHOLES (2)
- Raw ASST Large Size Gold Notes
- Raw XF $ 5,2,1, Educational Notes
- Raw VF Series UNK $2 St. Nicolas Lazy Deuce
- Raw National Large Size Silver City NM Notes
- Raw National Large Size (3) XF-AU 1902 $10 San Pedro, CA.
- Raw $1 Black Eagles (12) Low Grade to Gem
- Raw $1 1917 Notes(7) Mid Grades to Gem
- Raw $2 1917 Notes (8) Mid Grades to Gem
FRACIONALS & MPCs
- PCGS-AU50 Lincoln
- PMG-XF-40 Lincoln
- PCGS, PMG Mixed graded fractionals and specimens
- PMG several high grade Military Payment Certificates
This is by far not a complete list of notes that were stolen, but notes that could possibly be identified.
- PCGS AU-58 1894 $10 Liberty Gold
- NGC MS-62 1911 $10 Gold Indian
- RAW 1891CC Liberty Gold
- NGC AU-55 1892CC $5 Liberty Gold
- RAW 1890CC $5 Liberty Gold
- PCGS G-DETAILS 1871CC $5 Liberty Gold
- ANACS G-6 1880CC $5 Liberty Gold
- PCGS AU-58 $3 1854 Gold Indian
- NGC MS-62 1884CC $1 MORGAN SILVER
- ICG MS AU-50 1875CC 25CENT Seated Liberty
- PCGS XF-40 1875CC 20CENT
- PCGS XF-40 1878 10 CENT Seated liberty
- PCGS VF-08 1878CC 10 cent Seated Liberty
- NGC G-06 1878CC 10CENT Seated Liberty
- PCGS AU-55 1556 SPANISH GOLD 4 ESCUDO
- PCGS MS-62 1877 MEXICO GOLD 5 PESO
- PCGS UNK GR 8 REALE GOLD PIECE
- CONFEDERATE 1863 $100 PMG-63 ALT
This is by far not a complete list of coins that were stolen, but coins that could possibly be identified.
* * *
The following is an updated list of stolen currency from Texas Coins in San Antonio, Texas:
- 1840 $10 Texas SN 3550
- 1839 $10 Texas SN 2494
- 1841 $1 Texas SN 3460
- 1839 $20 Texas SN 2494
- 1840 $20 Texas SN 236?
- 1993 Web notes $1 FR1920C 5 sequential
- 1995 Web Notes Several sequential
- 1928 $2 C97496991A
- 1928 $5 F69886933A
- Star Note $1 64176078A
- Star Note $5 05544995A
- 1982A $100SN H00351041A
- 1928G $2 SN CA43624128A
- 1953 $2 A59743951A
- 20- 1957 Silver Certificates
- 1957 Uncirculated set SN K93677006-12A
- WWII notes Africa SN 133419065C
- WWII notes Hawaii SN C02514446D
* * *
STOLEN GOLD COINS
Detectives in Shorewood, Illinois are looking for dealers who may have bought any 1/4 ounce gold Formula I coins within the last 90 days. The coins were stolen from an elderly female. The coins are marketed through Rosland Capital.
Detectives have identified persons of interest who may have been taking the coins from the victim over a long period of time.
Please contact the NCIC’s Doug Davis if you have any questions or information about any of the cases above. You can reach him at (817) 723-7231 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* * *
The Numismatic Crime Information Center is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit corporation. P.O. Box 14080 Arlington, Texas 76094.
Aubrey Trail’s trial on 14 federal charges for allegedly swindling a Kansas couple out of hundreds of thousands of dollars has been delayed until May over his objections…
A New York State man has sued a Centre County business claiming he paid $217,181 for guaranteed rare, uncirculated Lincoln pennies he later discovered are worthless…
Owner Larry Harmon estimates the thieves stole close to $45,000 worth of coins, vintage currency and other valuables.
“They knew exactly what had value and what did not,” he said, noting the thieves paid no attention to the costume jewelry in the shop.
It was a costly haul for Harmon, who said he lost 60 percent of his “basis” in one night.
Police swooped on five properties in Portugal, seizing 70,000 euros in fake 20, 50 and 500 euro notes, and 140,000 CFA francs.
Three men were arrested. A Portuguese man, the group’s mastermind, employed a tactic known as the “drip system” to circulate the cash, making modest purchases in small shops unequipped with money authentication devices…
Central Bank management is seeking approval to cease printing Euro Bank notes in Ireland and outsource production to another Eurozone country.
The move – which sources said would result in “significant cost savings” – would impact on 45 jobs at the bank’s south Dublin mint.
Production of coins would continue at the facility in Sandyford.
Metal Detecting, Treasure & Archaeology
Big lad, he was, with the demeanour of one of our friends from the white van community. “Hello, mate,” he said.
Call me old-fashioned, but that’s never a good start. I was expecting a request for scrap or an astonishing deal on Tarmac but instead he too went off on a metal-detecting speech.
Once again, I had to stop him with my National Trust line. He didn’t seem to believe me and had real trouble accepting “no” as an answer. It all got a bit heated…
Having the detector available to library patrons was Williamson County Library Director, Dolores Greenwald’s idea.
“Libraries are doing very innovative things and checking out materials besides books,” like sewing machines and lawn equipment, she said.
The simple-to-use detector will be available from the Williamson County Library on Columbia Avenue beginning next week, Greenwald said, and will likely be available for 24 to 48 hour windows of time…
Upcoming Auctions & Events
- Stack’s Bowers Galleries Whitman Baltimore Auction – March 21-23
- Stack’s Bowers Galleries Whitman Baltimore Auction (Internet Only) – March 26-27
- Münzenonline E-Live Auction 8 – closes April 27
- Anti-Counterfeit & Currency Expo – November 6-8
* * *
Follow CoinWeek on and — Subscribe to CoinWeek’s YouTube channel.
NGC-Certified Chinese Silver Pandas Currently Available on eBay
|View all items...||(Powered by: WP eBay Ads)|