By Coinweek ….
CoinWeek News Wire for December 9, 2016
A WONDERFUL collection of 120 Roman Imperial coins was unearthed in the Isle of Axholme.
The so-called Owston Ferry Hoard was discovered in 1952 by Mr. A. T. Pitchfork.
Ploughing a field in the village, he uncovered an earthenware pot containing 116 bronze coins and four silver denarii…
According to the central bank Thursday, changes after cash purchases at local convenience stores will be returned in prepaid cards. Convenience stores are selected for the test-run project as they usually make small transactions and already have devices charging prepaid cards…
Some in the village weren’t able to withdraw cash even after standing in a queue for three consecutive days. Among them is Bimla Devi, a domestic worker. According to her, she stood in the bank queue for three days in a row, only to hear the bank employees say that the bank has run out of cash. She had to borrow money from her employer so that she could cook a meal for her husband and ten-year-old son…
The Future Is Now
With a plethora of emerging digital options on top of traditional credit cards, many consider cash unnecessary. Some believe it to be dying, and some others – crime fighters, for example – want it dead.
All are wrong and the older form of currency is in no real danger of dying…
The European Payments Council (EPC), a subdivision of the European Central Bank, are taking steps in their quest to fully eliminate all cash. The reason is not to lift the burden off retailers or to make transactions more convenient but in reality to raise desperately needed taxes…
The uncertainties surrounding the use of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies have been laid to rest. In a document released on Nov. 29, 2016, Russia’s federal tax service has finally taken a position concerning the legality of Bitcoin use and transactions. The document emphatically stated that there is no legal prohibition of cryptocurrencies…
Uncertainty about Trump’s next move is driving what is already a thriving black market for wealth transfer between the two economies. Goods are commonly transported on regular flights for a huge fee, and regulatory crackdowns on money exchange firms could quickly and dramatically increase such practices…
The experience, Adolf Burger would later recall, was like being “corpses on holiday.” Imprisoned in the Sachsenhausen concentration camp north of Berlin, he was detailed to Operation Bernhard, a massive Nazi plot that relied on concentration camp inmates to forge British currency…
Crime & Punishment
From the Numismatic Crime Information Center (NCIC):
Fraudulent Cashier’s Check
On 12/02/2016 a female in the attached picture came to Coin and Bullion Reserves, Panama City, Fl., as the daughter of a Kevin Broomfield who had phoned making contact as a buyer. Mr Broomfield arranged for his “daughter” to complete the transaction.
The female, who appears to be Hispanic or mixed race, presented a fake cashier’s check off ” PENFED CREDIT UNION” for $18,222.00. While the check was being verified the female got nervous and left the store. She got into either a Chrysler or Buick, Champagne in color with Florida plates.
* * *
Detectives with the Chamblee, Georgia Police Department are investigating a commercial burglary that resulted in the loss of over $200,000 in coins. The majority of coins were slabbed PCGS and NGC. Click here for a list of stolen coins.
If you have any information about this theft, please contact Chamblee Detective Clark at (770) 527-2696.
* * *
You can also contact the NCIC’s Doug Davis if you have information about any of the cases above. Please call Doug at (817) 723-7231 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Numismatic Crime Information Center is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit corporation. P.O. Box 14080 Arlington, Texas 76094.
As a habitual offender, he will face up to life in prison on a new second-degree home invasion charge…
Erie police accused Rea and six other people of stealing 1,000 American Eagle silver coins from a woman’s eastside residence in January while a company was doing work in the victim’s basement…
Police are investigating a series of attempts to exchange fake Australian currency at banks in the Manawatu and Whanganui regions…
Royal Joh. Enschede will no longer produce banknotes. The print shop, which has existed since 1703 and is therefore one of the oldest companies in the Netherlands, is reorganizing. This involves a lost “significant” number of jobs…
The new 20,000 bolivares note, which will have a value of just under $5, will be joined by five other new notes and three new coins that the once oil-rich nation hopes will make doing business less cumbersome.
At present, Venezuela’s largest note, worth 100 bolivares, is worth just two US cents on the black market after the currency crashed to an all-time low late in November. Last Monday, the bolívar had lost 15% against the dollar…
The Reserve Bank of India will soon issue new Rs 20 and Rs 50 banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi series-2005. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had announced on November 8 to demonestize Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 currency notes. It was followed by launch of new Rs 500 currency notes and introduction of a new denomination of Rs 2,000 by RBI Governor Urjit Patel and secretary of the Department of Economic Affairs Shaktikanta Das on the same day. Now 25 days after the decision, it announced today the issuance of new notes of two lower denomination. Meanwhile, giving a relief to the people, the bank stated that all the banknotes in the above mentioned denomination issued by the Bank in the past will continue to be legal tender…
Belarus’ 100 ruble banknote has been nominated for the 2016 Banknote of the Year Award, as stated on the International Bank Note Society website. One of the main conditions is that the note must have been issued in the current year…
Birmingham-based “micro-engraver” Graham Short, 70, collaborated with the Tony Huggins-Haig Gallery in Kelso, Scotland, to etch portraits of Jane Austen on four of the brand new polymer notes.
And experts think they will be sold for as much as £50,000 after Mr Short’s last work – a sketch of Queen on a speck of gold in the eye of a needle – sold for £100,000…
Red Kettle Report
- December 2 – ‘Coin Crusader’ leaves valuable gold coin in Pompano Beach Salvation Army kettle: http://wsvn.com/news/local/coin-crusader-leaves-valuable-gold-coin-in-salvation-army-kettle/
- December 2-4 – Three more gold coins donated in Fargo area kettles: http://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/3-more-gold-coins-found-in-Salvation-Army-red-kettles-404788846.html
- December 2-4 – Platinum coin worth up to $350 donated in Omaha: http://www.omaha.com/news/goodnews/platinum-coin-worth-up-to-dropped-in-salvation-army-red/article_1a555420-bd03-11e6-acd5-576c17170e81.html
- December 3 – 1978 Krugerrand gold coin dropped in Mukwonago red kettle: http://www.lakecountrynow.com/story/news/local/mukwonago-chief/2016/12/08/1978-krugerrand-gold-coin-dropped-mukwonago-red-kettle/95166306/
- December 5 – Gold coin worth $1,300 found in Portland kettle: http://kval.com/features/on-the-bright-side/gold-coin-worth-1300-found-in-salvation-army-red-kettle
- December 6 – Krugerrand donated in Colorado Springs, 2nd Year in a Row: http://gazette.com/gold-coin-again-dropped-in-colorado-springs-salvation-army-kettle/article/1591810
- December 6 – ‘Mimi’ coin dropped in Salvation Army kettle for 12th year: http://www.nbc-2.com/story/33996703/mimi-coin-dropped-in-salvation-army-kettle-for-12th-year
- December 6 – First gold coin donated in Greater Houston Salvation Army kettle: http://abc13.com/news/first-gold-coin-donated-for-salvation-armys-red-kettle-season/1643125/
- December 6 – Kankakee Salvation Army gets 1 ounce Canadian gold coin: http://www.daily-journal.com/news/local/salvation-army-gets-ounce-canadian-gold-coin/article_09ab5d34-496f-559f-ba1e-da371fd2830d.html
- December 7 – Two Anonymous Donors Bring Golden Touch To Red Kettles: http://www.wibc.com/blogs/local-news/two-anonymous-donors-bring-golden-touch-red-kettles
Medals, Tokens & Exonumia
Commemorative medal coins featuring portraits of Russian President Vladimir Putin and Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu have been minted by jewelers in the city of Zlatoust…
Treasure & Archaeology
As many as 206 ancient silver coins have been recovered from seven people who accidentally stumbled upon the centuries-old coins a few days ago while mining sand illegally on the Palar riverbed near Athipet in Nemili Taluk…
[F]or the last two months, scores of people have been digging ground with bare hands in search of gold coins…
Upcoming Auctions & Events
- Corné Akkermans Auctions Maastricht Auctions 35-36 – November 25 – December 11
- Historama Winter Mail Auction – December 1-27
- Bertolami Fine Arts E-Live Auction 38 – December 10-11
- InAsta Auction 66 – December 12
- Archives International Auctions (AIA) U.S., Chinese & Worldwide Banknotes, Scripophily and Coins Auction Session 2 – December 13
- CGB.FR Live Auction Winter 2016 – closes December 13
- Classical Numismatic Group (CNG) Electronic Auction 388
- Legend Rare Coin Auctions Regency XIX – December 15
The Winona Area Coin Club will be holding a free prize drawing on Dec. 11 at 12:30 p.m. at the Eagle’s Club at 210 E. Fourth St. in Winona. Drawings will be at 1:30 p.m. and must be present to claim prize. Entry is free, and anyone can enter. Prizes will include two brand-new computers, foreign coin lots, one ounce silver coin, a Walmart gift card, and more…
Just for Fun
The I Ching has been called the “world’s first self-help book.” For the past two thousand years, it has assisted Chinese people in making sense of their lives.
Want to try it out for yourself? Find out how to consult the I Ching using three coins below with our handy guide…
Using common household props, Twitter user @thumb_tani stacks gravity-defying towers that rely on precise and calculated balance. Coins, toothpicks, and silverware are positioned to play off of each others’ weight in ways that might crumble with the slightest of touch…
World of the Weird
An anonymous coin collector is offering to reveal his or her identity – but only if the Salvation Army will sell their donation back.
The coin collector dropped a $1,200 golden double-eagle coin into a Salvation Army kettle in Canton last year…
* * *
Follow CoinWeek on and — Subscribe to CoinWeek’s YouTube channel.
Morgan Silver Dollars Currently Available on eBay