By Coinweek ….
CoinWeek News Wire for September 2, 2016
Would you know what to do with a bank note stained with dye — an indicator that the note was stolen in a robbery or ATM theft?…
Collectors Universe, Inc. (CLCT), a leading provider of value-added authentication and grading services to dealers and collectors of high-value collectibles, today [August 30] announced financial results for its fourth quarter and fiscal year 2016…
It wasn’t until 1955, Mr Suleman said, that currency notes with the picture of the Quaid-i-Azam started printing and that the notes issued before 1971 were in Urdu, Bengali and English but after the separation of Bangladesh, the Pakistani Rupee was printed ini Urdu and English only…
A very rare old Irish florin is being sought out by collectors for the tidy sum of €18,000…
With sixty dollars in quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies, News 5 put the Coinstar machines to the test, and the results were surprising — at no time during our tests were the results accurate. In fact, we found it wasn’t uncommon for the Coinstar machines to return more than what was owed…
The use of plastic money has increased by 152 percent since the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) announced measures to encourage the use of credit and debit cards as a means of reducing pressure on physical cash transactions amid a biting bank note shortage in the country…
One in five people now only take cash from a bank once a month as their reliance on coins and notes fades, and cards and contactless payments take over.
Research by Nationwide building society has shown nearly one in 10 Britons no longer regularly carries any loose change in their wallet, with men more likely to refuse to carry cash than women…
The Future Is Now
The model predicts that, as virtual currency becomes more established, the exchange rate will become less sensitive to the impact of shocks to speculators’ beliefs. This undermines the notion that excessive exchange rate volatility will prohibit widespread use of virtual currency…
[This is a Bank of Canada working paper, folks. —CoinWeek]
Under the Radar
[T]he [State Bank of Pakistan] has proposed to the government that composition of the existing Rs 5 coins may be revised and a new coin of Rs 10 may be introduced…
The blaze, which famously started in a bakery on Pudding Lane, destroyed thousands of homes and the original St Paul’s Cathedral built during the Middle Ages.
Its 350th anniversary is also being marked by a major exhibition at the Museum of London which runs until next April…
Five senior specialists who formed the core of Baldwin’s coin department are leaving to join the venture called Sovereign Rarities…
12.) NCIC Crime Bulletin
From the Numismatic Crime Information Center (NCIC):
$80,000 Loss After Dalton Show
Thomas Gintz, owner of A&E Coins in Dover, Ohio, was traveling home after the Dalton show and was the victim of a vehicle burglary that occurred in Lenoir City, TN. Stolen was approximately $80,000 in coins and cash.
The following is a list of stolen coins:
- 260 AU-UNC Peace Dollars @ $22.00 ea.
- 4 oz Proof US Gold @ $1321.00 + 150.00 = 1471.00 ea.
- 2 – 1 oz 2016 Gold Maple Leafs @ $1351.00
- 2 – 1 oz 2016 Gold Buffalos @ $1366.00
- 1 Toronto $10 Note, Date back
- 2 – 1929 Dalton Notes @ $450.00 ea.
- 1889 CC Morgan Dollar XF
- 1909 S VDB Cent VF
- 1915 $10 Gold Indian AU
- 1885 CC Morgan $ XF
- 1817 over 13 Bust Half Fine
- 1851 C $5 Gold AU
- 1859 $3 Gold XF
- 1864 UNC Indian Head Cent
- Lot of US Coins
- 1924 MS64 $20 Gold NGC 63-4387055-009
- 1914 S $20 Gold UNC
- Large Lot of US Silver Dollars and Mixed Type Coins
- 1904 $2 1/2 Liberty MS66, PCGS 81659973
- 1825 Bust Quarter MS64 NGC
- 1847 C $2 1/2 Gold
- 1798 Large Cent
- Lot of Mixed US Coins
- 1835 $5 Gold pc MS60 SEGS
- Spanish Trail 50 Cent pc PCGS MS65
- $5 Gold Coin – Slabbed
- $2 1/2 Gold Coin
- $10 Gold Coin AU
- 1854 Type 1 $1 Gold Coin
- 6 – Mixed $2 1/2 US Indian Head Gold Coins
- 4 Rolls 1963 D Franklin Half Dollars BU @ $190.00 ea.
- 1 Roll 1953 Franklin Half Dollars BU
- 1 Roll 1948 Franklin Half Dollars BU
- 1 Roll 19532 Franklin Half Dollars BU
- 1879 CC GSA Morgan Dollar NGC MS62
* * *
Stolen High-Grade Philippine Collection
Investigators with the Fullerton, CA police department are investigating a residential burglary that resulted in the loss of a high grade Phillipine collection.
The collection includes several hundred coins with 70-80% slabbed and valued in excess of $75,000. The following is a partial list of stolen coins:
- 28207764 555183 1866 4 Peso XF45 2,000
- 5789238 555034 1885 10C MS66 500
- 33630313 90198 1918-S Allen-4.08b Mule 5C XF40 2,500
- 24945540 90238 1903-S 10C MS62 3,500
- 33630310 90257 1917-S 10C MS65 500
- 27912823 90258 1918-S 10C MS64 200
- 26711773 90344 1904 50C MS62 300
- 20978164 90344 1904 50C MS64 500
- 28942876 509685 1918-S Allen-14.07a Inverted S 50C MS64 2,000
- 25214198 90381 1903 Peso MS63 1,300
- 20978163 90383 1904 Peso MS64 1,600
- 32569908 90385 1905-S KM-168 Curved Serif Peso AU53 200
- 32569905 90385 1905-S KM-168 Curved Serif Peso AU55 250
- 31768936 90385 1905-S KM-168 Curved Serif Peso AU55 250
- 33349109 90387 1905-S Allen-16.06a Str.Serif Peso AU50 375
- 32569904 90387 1905-S Allen-16.06a Str.Serif Peso AU50 375
- 28179282 90386 1906-S Peso XF45 6,500
- 31080401 90370 1906 KM-167 50C PR66 2,400
- 31978698 90402 1903 Peso PR64 1,100
* * *
Anyone with information should contact the NCIC’s Doug Davis at (817) 723-7231 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Numismatic Crime Information Center is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit corporation. P.O. Box 14080 Arlington, Texas 76094.
The Pune city police have arrested a man who allegedly duped a jeweler of 120 gold coins in November last year. The suspect has been identified as Sabari Arumugam Ganeshan alias Steve (39) of Kochi in Kerala. Police have recovered 93 gold coins worth Rs 27.2 lakh from him…
Police say the victim believes that while he was counting out his money to purchase the coins, the victim switched them out for fake ones…
A jar containing a collection of 273 copper coins has been discovered in southern Azerbaijan…
Top secret cold war-era banknotes printed by Warsaw Pact nations for potential use in captured western territories have been shown publicly in the Polish capital for the first time.
Codenamed E-17, the crisp notes were issued in the 1970s and kept locked in chests deep in the bowels of Poland’s central bank. They were classified as top secret until 2015…
Some un-priced souvenirs, including commemorative coins, elevated bus models and stamps, were introduced on the company’s website and began to accept orders. According to its promotion, there are gold commemorative coins weighing 7.76g and 3.11g respectively, and silver commemorative coins weighing 10g. Coins and stamps are imprinted with the shape or logo of the elevated bus…
The first coin will have 3,000 pieces offered for sale to the public at $10 each. The second coin will be limited to a total of 50, and will be offered for sale by silent auction…
Museums & Exhibits
The Athelstan Museum in Malmesbury has been awarded a £47,100 grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to refurbish and conserve the Malmesbury Coin Hoard, so it can be put on public display…
Upcoming Auctions & Events
- Classical Numismatic Group (CNG) Electronic Auction 382 – September 7
- Stephen Album Rare Coins Auction 26 – September 15-17
- Gerhard Hirsch Nachfolger Auctions 321-324 – September 20-23
- Nummus et Ars Auction 93 – September 22
- InAsta Auction 65 – September 24
- Bertolami Fine Arts E-Live Auction 36 – September 24-25
- Varesi and Nomisma SPA, ANPB Collection Auction – October 7-8
- Varesi, Mauro Scarlato Mauro Collection Auction, Part I – October 8
Leading the sale is a gold belt featuring 16 U.S. Liberty Head Double Eagle $20 gold coins and signed “Morgan Smith” (estimated at $20,000–$30,000)…
Done in partnership with the American Red Cross NMI Chapter, Connor said his club will be hosting a free workshop at the Joeten-Kiyu Public Library this coming Saturday, Sept. 3, from 10am to 11:30am…
The American Numismatic Association’s (ANA) second annual live Young Numismatist (YN) Auction will take place on Saturday, Sept. 24, at 10:00 a.m. (MST).
The auction will be conducted over a live video stream on the ANA’s YouTube channel. Participants will place bids in the chat section using YN Dollars…
Just for Fun
This bachelor’s unusual method of saving money not only netted him $6,000, but also three marriage proposals…
* * *
Follow CoinWeek on and — Subscribe to CoinWeek’s YouTube channel.
American Silver Eagles Currently Available on eBay
|View all items...||(Powered by: WPeBayAds)|