Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers are pleased to announce that we will be offering selections from the numismatic libraries of Margo Russell and Raymond Hale, along with other properties, in an online sale to be held Saturday, July 25.
Highlights include signed books and other memorabilia from the library of Margo Russell, editor of Coin World from 1962 to 1985. While never considering herself a numismatic scholar, Russell’s position at the center of the hobby and her personal charm meant that many authors sent her inscribed copies of their books. Many such titles are included in this sale, including works rarely encountered signed by their authors.
Some selections from the libraries of Russell, Hale and other consignors include:
- Scarce works on wampum, wampum belts and other Indian trade goods, including Clarke’s monograph on The Wampum Belt Collection of the New York State Museum (lot 63).
- James Kelly’s deluxe bound copy of Kaufman’s Dollars of the World exhibit (lot 102).
- A rare hardcover version of Kelly’s 1945 fixed price catalogue (lot 153).
- A rare 1876 offprint on the Somer Islands “Hog Money” (lot 189).
- A rarely seen reprint of the continuation to Van Loon (lot 194).
- A copy of the regular B. Max Mehl Dunham sale, with the extra photographic plates of the 1804 dollar bound in (lot 205).
- A copy of Eric P. Newman on counterfeit Continentals, inscribed to F.C.C. Boyd (lot 223).
- Number 1 of only 12 limited edition copies of Stack’s 1997 Queller sale catalogue (lot 296).
The rest of the July 25 sale features a varied selection of books on ancient and foreign coins, as well as a nice offering of works on U.S. numismatics. The delicacies from these libraries are being held over for our next printed sale, which will mail soon and close on August 22.