Learn to Grade Coins and Currency – A small investment in numismatic education can pay off big in long-term hobby enjoyment
The vast majority of collectors and dealers develop their skills through experience. The accumulation of knowledge and understanding can take years, even decades. However, there is one sure-fire way to jump-start your numismatic education: attend an ANA seminar to learn how to grade coins and currency.
The ANA is offering a pair of courses to learn how to grade coin and currency in conjunction with the 2018 National Money Show in Irving (Dallas), Texas.
Fundamentals of Grading U.S. Coins and Grading U.S. Paper Money will be offered prior to the 2018 National Money Show, which starts March 6.
Grading U.S. Paper Money
This hands-on seminar focuses on introductory and intermediate grading skills across a number of popular paper money areas. There also will be opportunity for group discussion and one-on-one instruction. Students are encouraged to bring up to 10 of their own notes for grading, as well as a magnifying loupe.
- Instructor: Glen Jorde, professional numismatist, Lake Region Coin and Currency; former manager of Paper Money Guaranty (PMG); and past president of the Professional Currency Dealers Association (PCDA)
- Date & Time: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday-Wednesday, Mar. 6-7, 2018
- Tuition: $259 for ANA members
Fundamentals of Grading U.S. Coins
The seminar covers many topics and emphasizes the fundamental principles of how to grade coins specifically circulated U.S. coins, including the history and evolution of grading standards, analysis of a coin’s focal points, technical and market grading, how to determine initial signs of wear and evaluating surface marks, strike, luster and eye appeal.
- Instructors: Rod Gillis, ANA education director; and Sam Gelberd, ANA numismatic educator
- Date & Time: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday, Mar. 6-7, 2018
- Tuition: $259 for ANA members
Fundamentals of Grading U.S. Coins Also at CoinExpo
For those unable to attend the Irving National Money Show seminars, the ANA is offering “Fundamentals of Grading U.S. Coins” April 18-19, just prior to the CoinExpo Santa Clara Spring Show, which begins April 20, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, California.
- Instructor: Brian Silliman, professional numismatist, Brian Silliman Rare Coins, and former NGC grader/conserver and ANA authenticator/conserver
- Date & Time: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday, April 18-19, 2018
- Tuition: $259 for ANA members. Register by Feb. 23, 2018, for a $25 early enrollment discount. Take another $40 off if youre an ANA Life Member!
Scholarship Deadline Approaching
Full and partial scholarships are available to Young Numismatists who wish to attend the ANA’s highly acclaimed 2018 Summer Seminar in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Dates for the two one-week sessions are June 16-21 and June 23-28.
In addition to learning from the hobby’s most prominent leaders and scholars, full scholarships cover tuition for one week-long class, accommodations in a Colorado College dormitory, meals and airfare; partial scholarships cover tuition only.
YN applications must be postmarked by Feb. 16, 2018.
NGC-Certified American Silver Eagle Coins Currently Available on eBay
|View all items...||(Powered by: WP eBay Ads)|