From the nation’s founding to the modern era, depictions of Liberty have been fundamental to American coin design. Because 2016 marks the centennial anniversary of three popular U.S. coin designs featuring Liberty–the Mercury (or Winged Liberty) dime, the Standing Liberty quarter and the Walking Liberty half dollar–the American Numismatic Association (ANA) selected “Portraits of Liberty: Icon of Freedom” as the theme for the 93rd annual National Coin Week, April 17-23. The theme was provided by ANA member Nelson Hanks of Montgomery, Alabama.
The Association will host a variety of National Coin Week activities online and at the Edward C. Rochette Money Museum in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Events and educational content focuses on the representations of Liberty on coins and paper money around the world, from ancient to modern times.
ANA-sponsored activities for National Coin Week include:
- An online video quiz. Every day from April 18-22, a video clue will be released on www.nationalcoinweek.org and the ANA’s YouTube page. Participants can submit their answers online for a chance to win an array of prizes.
- The annual coin club trivia challenge, where ANA member clubs test their numismatic knowledge and compete for prizes. Online resources on www.nationalcoinweek.org, including articles from The Numismatist, promotional documents, a youth activity, links and suggestions from the ANA library, and more.
- An open house at the Money Museum in Colorado Springs on April 23, which will include free admission, activities for children and adults, and the minting of the 2016 National Coin Week medallette in the museum’s Mini Mint.
Prizes for the online video quiz and club trivia challenge are as follows:
- 1st Prize: a 2016 American Eagle tenth-ounce gold five dollar proof coin, a 2016 U.S. Mint Silver Proof Set, and a 2016 ANA 125th anniversary Guide Book of United States Coins (the “Red Book”) signed by editor Kenneth Bressett.
- 2nd Prize: a 2016 U.S. Mint Silver Proof Set, a Mark Twain 2016 Proof Silver Dollar, and a signed 125th Anniversary Red Book.
- 3rd Prize: a 2015 U.S. Mint Silver Proof Set and a signed 125th Anniversary Red Book.
“The ANA has celebrated National Coin Week since 1924. It’s a great time for collectors and clubs to promote the hobby in their communities,” said Andy Dickes, the Money Museum’s collections manager. “This year we’re focusing on depictions of Liberty on money, and the theme has been well-received by our members.”
For additional information, email [email protected], call (719) 482-9814 or visit www.nationalcoinweek.org.
2016 Whitman Red Books Currently Available on eBay