By Doug Davis – Founder & President, Numismatic Crime Information Center (NCIC) ……
An express mail package containing a large number of slabbed and raw dollars was shipped on April 9, 2019, from California to Illinois. Upon arrival, the recipient advised the package had been opened and re-taped using express mail tape and weighed under one pound.
The package arrived in the Chicago hub where currently another loss is being investigated. Additional information will be provided at a later date.
A package sent from California to Warrendale, Pennsylvania has been reported missing/stolen. The package contained a 2019-W one ounce AGE NGC PF70 Ultra Cameo First Day Issue Cert #4956905-021.
Postal Inspectors are investigating several missing coin shipments via USPS to San Antonio. The incidents occurred between 2/25 and 3/28. It is believed that the shipments were stolen in San Antonio.
- U.S. PHILIPPINES 1 PESO SILVER CROWN 1905-S CH AU
- PHILIPPINES 8-COIN PROOF SET 1976 IN CASE W/ CERTIFICATE & 2 SILVER COINS
- 1975 Philippines 8-Coin Proof Set – Original Box/COA
- 1904 Proof 20 Centavos US-Philippines Silver Coin PCGS PR63 SN 90324.63/24894168
- 1903 Proof 50 Centavos US-Philippines Silver Coin PCGS PR64 SN 90367.64/34293490
- 1904 10 Centavos US-Philippines Proof Silver Coin NGC PF64 SN 4497067-011
- 1903 10 Centavos US-Philippines Proof Silver Coin NGC PF63 SN 2722543-008
- 1903 50 Centavos US-Philippines Proof Silver Coin
- 1904 10 Centavos US-Philippines Proof Silver Coin NGC PF64 SN 2728030-007
- 1903 ONE CENTAVO U.S. PHILIPPINES PCGS PROOF UNC SN 90147.97/83981480
- 1903 FIVE CENTAVOS NGC PF63 U.S. PHILIPPINES SN 2721832-007
- 1903 TEN CENTAVOS PCGS PR58 U.S. PHILIPPINES SN 90268.58/83597173
- 1903 TWENTY CENTAVOS PCGS PR62 U.S. PHILIPPINES SN 90323.62/34486085
- PHILIPPINES 1906 5 Centavos XF – Proof-Only Date – Mintage = 500
- PHILIPPINES 1975 1-5-10-25 Sentimos 1-5 Piso Proof – 6 coins
- PHILIPPINES 1920 10 Centavos Silver AU-UNC
- PHILIPPINES 1903S 10 Centavos Silver XF-AU
- PHILIPPINES 1904 50 Centavos Silver AU-UNC
- PHILIPPINES 1 Piso 1975 PROOF
- PHILIPPINES 10 Sentimos 1976 PROOF
- PHILIPPINES 10 Sentimos 1975 PROOF PHILIPPINES 5 Sentimos 1975 PROOF
- PHILIPPINES 25 Sentimos 1975 PROOF
- PHILIPPINES 1 Piso 1976 PROOF
- PHILIPPINES 25 Sentimos 1976 PROOF 1947 Philippines Silver 1 Peso Douglas MacArthur Low Mintage 90% Silver
- 1941 M PHILIPPINES USA 20 CENTAVOS GRADED MS64 BY NGCSN 4718842-010
- Philippine 1962 MS65 NGC 10C Coin with Die used to Strike Coin, Marked “S365PIL” SN 3352223-005
- 1903 USPI 20C Proof NGC PF63 w/ Wings
Anyone with information about the Texas case, please contact Dave Gonsewski, Special Agent USPS OIG San Antonio Field Office, at (210) 247-0774.
Coin Shop Burglaries
In the early morning hours of April 7, 2019, GSA Coins and Jewelry in Corinth, Texas was burglarized.
The following is a partial listing of stolen coins:
- Capital Plastic Set 1921-1935 Peace dollars
- 75+ ICG Morgan Dollars MS63-MS65
- 1918/1930 ICG Standing Quarter AU58 Cert:10801/10901
- RED Capital Plastic Set O Dollars 1898-O-1904-O
- Full Sets: Barber half dollars, Walking Liberty half dollars, Franklin Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollars
- Partial Morgan Dollar Set
- Hundreds of Circulated pre-1921 morgans and peace dollars
- Bermuda Silver .925 coin in case
- South American Shipwreck Silver Coin in Case
- Hundreds of Ounces of Junk 90% Silver
- Misc: Proof Silver Eagles, Silver Proof Sets
- Semacon Roll Crimping Machine
Investigators with the Tecumseh, Michigan police department are investigating the burglary and arson of Tecumseh Coins that occurred during the early morning hours of April 8, 2018. An unknown number of suspects entered the building and cut open five safes with an unknown type of cutting torch.
The suspects removed a large inventory of coins from the safes. Below is a partial listing of stolen coins:
- 29 red trays with coins stacked 2-5 deep
- 1857 flying eagle cents thru 1958 wheat cents complete minus 22P
- V-nickels, buffalos, and Jeffersons including 2 three-legged buffalos
- Bust dimes thru mercs (no16D)
- Bust quarters thru Washington
- Bust halves thru Franklins
- Morgan and Peace dollars
- Complete Peace dollar set
- Mint sets beginning in 1951 complete from 1958 to 2018
- 30 early Commemorative halves-Maine, Pilgrim, Stone Mountain, California Jubilee, Lexington Concord, Oregon, Daniel Boone, Long Island
- 15 Modern Commems
- 5 rolls Canadian silver quarters, 4 rolls Canadian dimes
- 2 slabbed PCI 1909S VDBs
- 5 slabbed gold coins
The coins were housed in either 1.5×1.5 cardboard or 2×2 flips. Labeled with year, mint, grade and price. Each reverse would have a cost code. The code would have a letter J in it for the decimal point. Printed in black ink and capital letters. Small cents, nickels, and dimes in 1.5×1.5 flips and quarters thru dollars in 2×2’s.
Anyone with information about the Michigan theft, please contact Officer Tom Gilbert at (517) 423-7494.
$500 Notes Missing/Stolen
The following notes have been reported missing/stolen. It is believed the incident occurred at the recent PCDA show in Chicago.
All are Circ F/VF
- Fr. 2201-G 1934 $500 G00087030A
- Fr. 2201-A 1934 $500 A00012203A
- Fr. 2202-C 1934A $500 C00031296A
- Fr. 2202-E 1934A $500 E00031425A
- Fr. 2211-G 1934 $1000 H00014566A
- Fr. 2211-H 1934 $1000 G00144864A
Anyone with information contact Peter Treglia at (617) 462-7267.
A Federal Law Enforcement agency is requesting assistance in locating victims in the New York, New Jersey area who may have purchased counterfeit slabbed coins off Craigslist or other media.
The slabbed coins(PCGS, NGC) include American Gold Eagles, Gold Buffalos, Krugerrands, Dragons, and Kangaroos.
Also, any dealer who may have come into contact with any subject attempting to sell counterfeits or knows of any victim that has purchased counterfeits as described above.
Stolen/Missing Proof Shield Nickels
The two coins pictured below have been reported stolen/missing. The victim advises the coins were last seen at the February 28-March 3,2019 Whitman Baltimore coin show.
You may also contact the Numismatic Crime Information Center’s Doug Davis if you have any questions or information about any of the cases above. You can reach him at (817) 723-7231, or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* * *
The Numismatic Crime Information Center (NCIC) is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit corporation. P.O. Box 14080 Arlington, Texas 76094.