A winning bid of $352,500 claimed a 1792 Silver Center Cent, so named for a small silver plug added to make its intrinsic value equal to its face value. The concept was suggested by American patriot Thomas Paine and endorsed by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to President George Washington. The copper cent is about the size of today’s modern quarter.
The second cent was a 1792 Birch Cent, supposedly engraved by Robert Birch, but never confirmed. The coin is the finer of the two-known surviving examples of this experimental design and sold for $517,000.
“As the first coins produced inside the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia, these two coins played an important role in the development of the United States’ monetary system,” said Greg Rohan, President of Heritage Auctions. “Interest in these rarities extended well beyond the historical: Both are in excellent condition for their age and type.”
Some of the many additional highlights from the Anaheim ANA auction included:
- 1880 $4 Flowing Hair, Judd-1657, PR65 NGC. Realized $352,500
- 1907 $10 Rolled Rim MS66+* NGC . Judd-1903 Realized $346,625
- 1879 $4 Flowing Hair, Judd-1635, PR67 PCGS Secure. Realized $305,500
- “Very Large Size” Kellogg & Humbert 114.65-Ounce Gold Ingot. Realized $287,875
- 1797 $10 Small Eagle, BD-1, MS61 PCGS Secure. Realized $258,500
- 1794 $1 B-1, BB-1, XF Details PCGS Secure. Realized $258,500
- 1921 $20 MS63 PCGS. Realized $199,750
- 1907-D $20 SP62 NGC. Realized $176,250
- Kellogg & Humbert 55.44-Ounce Gold Ingot. Realized $152,750
- 1652 Oak Tree Shilling, IN at Left, MS65 NGC . $117,500
- 1898 $5 PR68 Deep Cameo PCGS Secure. Realized $117,500
Two signature auctions scheduled for Long Beach – the September 7 – 11 Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction and the September 9 – 12 The Twelve Oaks Collection Signature Auction – will open very soon for bidding at www.HA.com/coins!
Classic US Large Cents Currently Available on eBay
|View all items...||(Powered by: WP eBay Ads)|