Rare double eagles from The Cherny Collection, topped by a Gem 1920-S piece, provided many of the highlights as Heritage’s October 31-November 2 New York Signature auction realized in excess of $12.4 million USD. All prices include a 17.5% Buyer’s Premium.
The Cherny Collection supplied numerous rare Saints to this auction. The highlight was the aforementioned Gem 1920-S coin, graded MS65 by PCGS and bearing the CAC seal of approval. While not the rarest coin in the series in an absolute sense, the 1920-S is the third rarest coin in Gem condition, behind only the 1921 and the nearly uncollectible 1927-D. This piece boasts eye appeal to match the two known MS66 coins (none are known finer), and its realized price of $517,000 suggests that at least two collectors valued it every bit as highly as an MS66.
The 1920-S was not the only double eagle from the Cherny Collection to realize a fine result; indeed, the Cherny Collection provided six of the top eight results in this auction by dollar value.
Bringing in nearly as much as the Cherny 1920-S double eagle was an 1870-S silver dollar, graded XF40 by NGC, which crossed the block at $434,750. One of only nine confirmed examples of this rare date, this coin is one of the premier rarities in 19th century numismatics.
Just a few of the additional highlights of this auction included:
- 1927-S $20 MS65 PCGS. CAC: Realized $199,750
- 1930-S $20 MS64 PCGS. CAC: Realized $146,875
- 1932 $20 MS66 PCGS: Realized $129,250
- 1931 $20 MS66 PCGS: Realized $129,250
- 1797 H10C 16 Stars, V-3, LM-3, MS66 PCGS. CAC: Realized $123,375
- 1931-D $20 MS64 PCGS. CAC: Realized $94,000
- 1864 1C L On Ribbon PR64 Red Cameo PCGS. Snow PR-1: Realized $88,125
- 1893-S $1 MS61 ANACS: Realized $88,125
- 1915-S Panama-Pacific 50 Dollar Round MS64 NGC: Realized $88,125
- 1915-S Panama-Pacific 50 Dollar Octagonal MS64 PCGS: Realized $88,125
We are already cataloging outstanding material for the upcoming January 4-9 FUN US Coins Signature Auction in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The consignment deadline for this auction is November 21, so if you wish to participate, call our Consignor Hotline at 1-800-872-6467 x1000 today!
PCGS-Certified Saint-Gaudens $20 Double Eagle Gold Coins Currently Available on eBay