By Hubert Walker for CoinWeek ….
Every year beginning in November and carrying on through Christmas Eve, volunteers for the Salvation Army ring the bell and man the red kettles outside many a storefront and mall.
And every year, anonymous and not-so-anonymous donors alike deposit gold coins (both foreign and domestic) in the iconic kettles, parting with these obviously valuable numismatic objects so that the 150-year-old international Christian charity may better serve those in need at this special time of year.
So here, without further ado, is the first “Red Kettle Report” for 2015: a weekly listing of news reports of gold coins that have popped up around the country in Salvation Army donations.
- November 25 – Krugerrands found in kettles around Youngstown area: http://www.ohio.com/news/local/gold-coins-left-in-area-kettles-1.644765
- December 1 – $5 1/10-oz. American Eagle, $50 Canadian gold coins found in different Chicago-area kettles: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/2-Gold-Coins-Donated-to-Salvation-Army-Red-Kettle-Drive-360163321.html
- Dec. 2 – Spokane-area kettle sees krugerrand donated for seventh year in a row: http://www.krem.com/story/news/local/good-news/2015/12/03/donor-drops-22-karat-gold-coin-spokane-red-kettle/76740194/
- Dec. 2 – $25 1/2-oz. American Eagle gold coin found in Jamestown, North Dakota kettle: http://www.jamestownsun.com/news/local/3896286-gold-coin-dropped-red-kettle
- Dec. 2 – 1997 Canadian $50 Queen Elizabeth II gold coin, 1915 U.S. gold quarter eagle donated to Salvation Army in Mebane, North Carolina: http://www.thetimesnews.com/article/20151204/NEWS/151209559
- Dec. 4 – 1998 1-oz. American Eagle gold coin found in Geneva, Illinois kettle: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151205/news/151209254/
- Dec. 5 – McHenry County, Illinois Salvation Army finds three U.S. gold coins in area kettles: http://www.nwherald.com/2015/12/06/salvation-army-of-mchenry-county-receives-3-gold-coins-in-red-kettle-campaign/aksv03s/.
Fun Fact: According to Captain Carol Lewis of the Salvation Army of McHenry County, the dropping of gold coins into Salvation Army kettles is believed by some to have started there.
More to come next week!
Canadian Gold Maple Leafs Currently Available on eBay