More stories of the people, places and events which define Canada have been captured on the newest collector coins issued by the Royal Canadian Mint. Its latest catalogue includes the final coin in the fine silver “Lost Ships in Canadian Waters” series, which commemorates the 40th anniversary of the well-known sinking of the freighter Edmund Fitzgerald, lost with its entire 29–man crew in a historic Lake Superior storm in November 1975. As the world prepares for another day of remembrance on November 11, the Mint has also released a $3 fine silver coin commemorating the 100th anniversary of Lt. Col. John McCrae’s writing of “In Flanders Fields“, featuring the celebrated author of the timeless war poem at work on the battlefront, illustrated by Laurie McGaw.
With a new season of NHL® hockey upon us, the Mint is looking back on some of the sport’s all-time greats, with six coloured fine silver coins, designed by artist Steven Rosati, celebrating legendary Canadian-born goalies of the Original SixTM teams: Jacques Plante, Johnny Bower, Terry Sawchuk, Glenn Hall, Gerry Cheevers, and Eddie Giacomin. Pop culture also continues to make its mark with new coins in the DC ComicsTM Originals $10 fine silver coin series (“Strength” featuring a full colour illustration of Supergirl) and the $10 fine silver Looney TunesTM series (“You’re Despicable”, depicting the unforgettable Daffy Duck).
Other themes in the Mint’s October 2015 launch of new coins include:
- The 2015 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Autumn Express, featuring an old-fashioned steam locomotive travelling through a richly coloured fall canopy in a work by artist Jacky MacDonald;
- Two new large maple leaf-inspired gold coins: the 5 oz., 2015 $500 Pure Gold Coin – Maple Leaf, by artist Lisa Thomson-Khan, and the 2 oz. 2016 $250 Pure Gold Coin – Maple Canopy: Kaleidoscope of Colour, illustrated by Emily Damstra;
- A full-colour 2015 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Snowy Owl, by artist Douglas Laird;
- The 2015 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Grizzly Bear: Family (last in the series), by artist Lauren Crawshaw, who also designed the 2015 $200 Pure Gold Coin – Grizzly Bear: The Clan;
- An imposing five-kilogram $500 Fine Silver Coin – The Dance Screen, by renowned master Haida carver James Hart;
- A 2016 $10 Fine Silver Coin – Year of the Monkey, featuring the work of artist Simon Ng;
- The 2015 $10 Fine Silver Coin – Adventure Canada: Dog Sledding (last in the series), by artist Ken Ryan; and
- New holiday-themed coins: the crystal-embellished “Holiday Reindeer” 2015 $20 Fine Silver Coin designed by Lisa Thomson; “Holiday Toy Box“, the 2015 50-Cent Lenticular Coin illustrated by Joel Kimmel, and “My Angel“, the 2016 Fine Silver Coin featuring the work of Julius Csotonyi.
Mintages, pricing and full background information on each product can be found on the “Shop” tab of www.mint.ca.
All of these products can be ordered directly from the Mint at 1-800-267-1871 in Canada, 1-800-268-6468 in the US, or online at www.mint.ca. The coins are also available at the Royal Canadian Mint’s boutiques in Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver, as well as through our global network of dealers and distributors, including participating Canada Post outlets.