Daniel Frank Sedwick’s third “LIVE FLOOR” world coin and treasure auction in Orlando Florida on October 29th will go down in history as the “Hearts and Royals” auction. Never before have so many Hearts (14) and Royals (46) been offered at the same time.
Hearts and Royals are very special silver cob coins from Potosí, Bolivia–made in tiny numbers for presentation, not circulation. Many dates are represented by single-known specimens. Sophisticated cob buyers know that an opportunity like this is unique, with enough specimens to satisfy the casual trophy hunters as well. To be able to offer a total of 60 of these treasures is a privilege we will hold dear for years to come!
In addition to the Hearts and Royals, in this auction you will find prizes in virtually every area, as it is probably our most balanced auction to date. Here is a quick run-down:
- In Gold Cobs we feature a date collection of Lima 8 escudos among selections from nearly all the New World mints and even several Spanish mints, including a few rarely seen Cartagena 2 escudos. Be sure to check out the usual offerings of 1715-Fleet gold cobs, still in their prime with the 300th anniversary celebration this year.
- In World Gold Coins you will find a healthy mix of Latin American material (including several “finest knowns” recently encapsulated by NGC) with a smattering of worldwide pieces. For this auction we are also offering a section of U.S. Coins, including some branch-mint gold and some early silver dollars.
- Next up is our section of Shipwreck Ingots (and related precious metals), featuring several gold bars from the 1622 Fleet (Atocha and Santa Margarita), one of which is over 2.3 kilograms!
- Then we come to our ever-popular Shipwreck Silver Coins section, this time brimming with sizable selections from the Atocha and Santa Margarita (1622), the Capitana (1654), the Consolación (1681) and, of course, the 1715 Fleet, featuring a unique contraband clump of Mexican cobs neatly stacked to fit in the false bottom of a chest (with Real Eight Pedigree to boot!
- The silver-cob sections, as mentioned at the beginning, are loaded with Hearts and Royals, but you will also find a small collection of Charles-Joanna ½ reales in Mexican Silver Cobs, some choice Early Pillars and Shield-type cobs of assayers Rincón and Xinés Martínez in Lima Silver Cobs, and a fully dated 1647 8 reales of assayer Ramírez (who was executed for debasement) in Potosí Silver Cobs, the latter two sections also stocked with a reference collection of cob ¼ reales (cuartillas). You will also find a superb 1651 8 reales from Bogotá and even some silver cobs from Santo Domingo and Panama in the Other Silver Cobs section
- After a small but varied section on Ancient Coins comes World Silver Coins, dominated (as usual) by Latin American material, including many trophies (rarities and top grades), with emphasis this time on Cuba, Mexico and Venezuela, the last-mentioned featuring another reference collection of ¼ reales. Following that is an important offering of (mostly) Latin American Medals.
- Our Shipwreck Artifacts and Non-wreck Artifacts sections are typically loaded with goodies, this time featuring several 1715-Fleet gold items (snuffboxes, chain, cross and rings), a shipwreck astrolabe, lots of shipwreck emeralds, a choice Dutch cannon, many flintlock Pistols and treasure chests, and even a couple lots of pre-Columbian gold.
So even if Hearts and Royals aren’t your fancy, we know you will have a good time perusing the lots and choosing your next treasure.
Happy hunting, everyone!
Auction Details – Registration – Hotel Information
Auction 18 Location: October 29, 2015, at the DoubleTree Lake Buena Vista (Walt Disney World) in Orlando, Florida, USA
Lot Viewing& Pickup: Lot viewing the day before (October 28) and lot pick-up the day after (October 30).
Registration and Bidding: The auction is now open for registration and bidding on iCollector,
- The auction has been posted here: “Auction Main Page” and printed catalogs will be available starting next week.
- To register to bid, click here: “Register Here”
Hotel Reservations: A block of rooms at the DoubleTree has been reserved for October 28-30. The special room rate will be available until October 21 or until the group block is sold out, whichever comes first. Booking a reservation is simple: Just click here to receive our preferred group rate: “Book a Room”
If you prefer to make your reservation by phone, please call the hotel at 407-934-1000 and -specify group code “SED”. Hotel address and details as follows: Walt Disney World, 2305 Hotel Plaza | Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, Florida – USA 32830 – Tel: +1-407-934-1000 | Fax: +1-407-934-1015