A diverse selection of over 700 world currency banknotes from China and other parts of Asia will be featured in Heritage Auctions’ Hong Kong World Currency Signature Auction, to take place June 27-29 in Hong Kong (June 26-28 in the US). As always, for those of you unable to make it to the live auction, bidding will be available before the auction through currency.HA.com, and during the auction through Heritage LIVE!
The early issues of the People’s Republic of China are rare and coveted in any grade, even more so in prime condition. The 1953 10 Yuan Pick 870 certainly rises to that level in the coveted Choice Uncirculated 64 grade. Last year, we were fortunate enough to offer two such notes, both of which exceeded $40,000 when the hammer fell. This auction features another such note, graded by PMG and clearly destined for a fine collection of Chinese money.
From the relatively modern to the truly antique, we next highlight a note from the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368). This is a 2 Kuan note, S/M#C167-1, with the denomination represented by depictions of two stacks of 10 cash coins in the center of the note. This very large note was printed on mulberry paper and charcoal dye was used for both the script and design. Printed in the period 1335-40, this note, graded Fine 15 by PCGS, is well-preserved and has retained most of its original features.
We are fortunate to be able to offer an outstanding note from Malaya and British Borneo – a Specimen $10000, Pick 7s, issued by the Board of Commissioners of Currency to represent Brunei, Malaya, North Borneo, Sarawak, and Singapore. This rarity is perforated cancelled and has been graded Extremely Fine 45 by PCGS.
Just a few of the additional world currency highlights of this auction include:
- China Ta-Ching Government Bank Yinokow (Yingkow) $1 1.10.1909 Pick A76, PMG Choice Fine 15 Net
- China Deutsch-Asiatische Bank Tientsin 20 Taels 1.3.1907 Pick S303s Specimen, PMG Choice Uncirculated 63
- China Banque de l’Indo-Chine 10 Piastres = $10 15.1.1902 Pick S440B, PCGS Very Good 8 Details
- Japan Central Bank of Western India Yokuhama $25 9.2.1866 Pick S244a, PCGS Very Fine 25
- Malaya and British Borneo Board of Commissioners of Currency $1000 21.3.1953 Pick 6s Specimen, PCGS Choice About New 55
- Thailand Kingdom of Siam Grand Treasury 1/8 Tical ND (1851-68) Pick A7, PCGS Extremely Fine 40
This auction is open for bidding now at currency.HA.com.