As one of our periodic auctions of specialized collections of world coins , Heritage has just opened its auction of The Lake County Collection for bidding. This collection features quality material from Latin America, with opening bids that will not break most collectors’ budgets. The live session for this auction is scheduled for 8 pm CT on October 13.
Of the 343 world coins in this auction, almost exactly half (170) are from Mexico, with dates ranging from the 16th century to the late 20th century. Sixty-three of these are the popular 8 Reales pieces, ranging from cobs to mint state coins from the late 19th century. Possibly the most interesting of these 8 Reales world coins offerings is a 1837 piece minted in Chihuahua, graded VF30 by PCGS. This is an issue notorious for poor quality strikes, and while that is definitely the case here, this example still retains a good deal of eye appeal, quite nice for this date and mint.
The short-lived Central American Republic contributes an NGC-certified AU58 1824 8 Reales coin minted at the Nueva Guatemala mint. The Central American Republic was an early attempt to form a single federal republic out of the states of Central America, initially Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, and Costa Rica. This coin represents the initial 8 Reales issue of this republic, which broke apart in 1840.
Additional selections from The Lake County Collection of world coins include, among many others:
- Bolivia: Republic 8 Soles 1834 PTS-LM MS62 NGC, Potosí mint, KM97
- Chile: Republic “Round Top 3” Peso 1883-So MS65 NGC, Santiago mint, KM142.1
- Costa Rica: Republic gold Counterstamped 1/2 Escudo ND (1849-1857) CR-JB XF40 NGC, San Jose mint, KM80
- Mexico: Republic 8 Reales 1842 Mo-MM MS63 NGC, Mexico City mint, KM377.10
- Mexico: Republic gold Escudo 1833/2 Do-RM/L AU53 NGC, Durango mint, KM379.1
- Mexico: Republic 8 Reales 1888 Cn-AM MS64 NGC, Culiacan mint, KM377.3
- Mexico: Republic 25 Centavos 1880 Zs-S MS64 PCGS, Zacatecas mint, KM406.9
- Peru: Republic 50 Centimos 1858-MB MS64 NGC, Lima mint, KM178
Bid on these and the rest of the selections from The Lake County Collection at coins.HA.com.