Kolbe & Fanning are pleased to announce that our 2016 New York Book Auction will feature the celebrated RBW Library and other important properties. Focusing on Roman Republican coinage, the RBW Library includes both the essential standard works on the subject as well as many rarely seen and little-known publications. RBW’s collections of antiquarian books, auction catalogues and numismatic offprints add to the utility and comprehensiveness of the library, which had become famous among his fellow collectors.
The sale also includes a fine selection of works on other ancient coins, medieval and modern foreign coins, and U.S. numismatics. Over 450 lots are included in the sale, which is available for viewing and advance bidding at auction.numislit.com. The printed catalogue is also available for download at numislit.com and has been mailed to those on our mailing list. The sale will take place on Saturday, January 9, 2016, beginning at 12:30 p.m. eastern time, at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in Manhattan in conjunction with the 2016 New York International Numismatic Convention (NYINC).
Some highlights include the following:
- Lot 29: Bahrfeldt’s three-part revision of Babelon on Roman Republican coins
- Lot 55: the Duke of Devonshire’s exceptional copy of the 1532 Paris folio edition of Guillaume Budé’s De asse et partibus eius
- Lot 110: the 1517 first edition of Andrea Fulvio’s Illustrium images, the first illustrated numismatic book
- Lot 142: Adolph Hess’s 1912 catalogue of the Count Tolstoï collection of Roman Republican coins
- Lot 195: Andre Morell’s 1734 Thesaurus Morellianus, with the rare 1752 continuation
- Lot 229: a rare complete run of 23 Rodolfo Ratto fixed-price catalogues
- Lot 369: Pierre-Ancher Tobiésen Duby’s extraordinary works on obsidional and French feudal coins, in Louis XVI bindings
- Lot 377: Hess’s 1913 catalogue of the Count Tolstoï collection of 19th-century Russian coins
- Lot 423: Charles Bushnell’s legendary 1864-66 Crumbs for Antiquarians, including the second edition of his 1859 work on New York tokens
- Lot 428: an original manuscript record of Edward Cogan’s 1859 Charles B. Foote sale
As a reminder, bidders may participate in this sale in a variety of ways. Please feel free to send us your bids by post or shoot us an e-mail. Give us a call or fax us a bidsheet. Bids sent to our Gahanna office must arrive by Monday, January 4, 2016:
Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC
141 W. Johnstown Rd.
Gahanna, OH 43230
For those who prefer the experience of live bidding, please check out our live biding platform at auction.numislit.com. Register in advance of the sale and browse the lots at your leisure: all lots are illustrated in the online catalogue. A PDF of the printed catalogue is available for download here. Absentee bids can be placed in advance, allowing participants to not worry about remembering the sale or finding themselves unexpectedly occupied on the day of the sale.
Selected lots will be available for viewing January 7-9 at the New York International Numismatic Convention at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel on the 18th floor in the Library suite.
Bids will be reduced as competition dictates and the privacy of your maximum bids is maintained. Please contact David Fanning at email@example.com with any questions.