By the Italian Mint ……
On the occasion of the 500th Anniversary of the death of Leonardo da Vinci, the Ministry of Economy and Finance is issuing a commemorative coin with a nominal value of 2 euros, made by the State Mint, to celebrate the Tuscan artist and inventor, considered one of the greatest geniuses of humankind.
The coin is the first issue of the 2019 Numismatic Collection dedicated to people and events that have made a mark in history. In February, along with other coins from the Collection, the Leonardo da Vinci 2 euro coin will be officially presented to the international public at the World Money Fair showcase of world numismatics, which is held every year in Berlin and which has often given the Italian Mint very important awards for the quality and value of its products.
The da Vinci coin, available in proof and uncirculated finishes, was created by the artist and engraver Maria Angela Cassol and will be struck at the Mint of Rome to a mintage of 5,000 pieces. On the obverse there is a detail of the oil painting known as Dama con l’ermellino (Lady with an Ermine), preserved today at the Czartoryski Museum in Krakow, Poland and considered one of the iconic works of Renaissance art of which Leonardo da Vinci was one of the greatest exponents.
In the left-hand field of the inner disc, we find the name “Leonardo”, the acronym of the designer Maria Angela Cassol “MAC” and the “RI” monogram of the Italian Republic. In the right field is found the “R” mint mark for the Mint of Rome and the dates “1519-2019”, respectively the year of Leonardo’s death and the year of issue. Around the outer ring, finally, are the 12 stars of the European Union.
Other issues scheduled for release from the State Mint for 2019 include:
- 5 euro silver coin with colored inserts – 150th Anniversary of Accounting General of the State
- 20 euro gold coin – Europa Series Program “Il Rinascimento”
- 10 euro silver coin with gold inserts – Explorers Series: Christopher Columbus
- 10 euro gold coin – Roman Emperors series “Augustus”
- 5 euro silver coin – Centenary of the death of Cesare Maccari
- 10 euro silver coin – Italian Series of Arts “Duomo di Milano” – Lombardy
- 5 euro silver coin – Italy Series of the Arts “Santa Maria del Fiore” – Florence, Tuscany
- 5 euro silver coin with colored inserts – Serie Eccellenze Italiane “Vespa” – colored
- 5 euro bimetallic coin in bronzital and cupronickel with 16-sided polygonal border – Anniversary of the foundation of the Carabinieri Command for the Protection of Cultural Heritage
- 5 euro coin in bronzital – Centenary of the National Alpine Association
- 5 euro bimetallic bronzital and cupronickel coin with 16-sided polygonal border – Centenary of the birth of Fausto Coppi
- 5 euro silver coin with colored inserts – 30th Anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall
- 5 euro silver coin with colored inserts – 50th anniversary of the moon landing
All new 2019 issues will be exhibited during the year at the numismatic corner of the Treasury Department Library inside the Palazzo delle Finance and open to the public upon request via email at [email protected].