The field of Judaean coinage extends from ancient times to the present day, and as such it presents an excellent window into the rich culture and history of the region. Judaean coinage developed under the influence of various historical forces, from the Hellenistic era to symbols of Jewish independence and the Maccabean Revolt, and through the Jewish-Roman wars. Their coins testify to the persevering spirit of the Jewish people and reflect the alternating waves of history, going from Roman provincial coinage to symbols of the Bar Kokhba Revolt. Eventually, with the diaspora of Jewish communities and regional shifts in the balance of power, Judaean coinage ultimately declined and ceased. Its legacy endures, however, reminding us of the connection between coinage and the complex narratives of a people.
Today, Judaean coins from a variety of historical periods are highly collectible because they offer a connection to the ancient past and continue to attract scholarly interest. The Spotlight: Judaea: From Past to Present sale from Heritage Auctions gives collectors the chance to hold history in their hands. Bidding is now open.
This auction features highlights such as the following:
- JUDAEA. Herodian Dynasty. Herod III Antipas (4 BCE-39 CE). AE half-unit. ANACS VF 30. Dated Regnal Year 34 (AD 30/31)
- JUDAEA. Jewish War (66-70 CE). AR shekel. NGC Choice AU 4/5 – 4/5. Jerusalem, dated Year 1 (May (or later) AD 66-March AD 67)
- JUDAEA. Jewish War (66-70 CE). AR shekel. NGC XF 4/5 – 3/5, edge marks. Jerusalem, Dated Year 2 (April AD 67-March AD 68)
- JUDAEA. Jewish War (66-70 CE). AR shekel. NGC AU 4/5 – 4/5. Jerusalem, dated Year 3 (April AD 68-May AD 69)
- JUDAEA. Bar Kokhba Revolt (132-135 CE). AR sela. NGC MS 4/5 – 4/5. Undated issue of Year 3 (AD 134/5)
- PHOENICIA. Tyre. Ca. 126/5 BCE-65/6 CE. AR shekel. NGC AU★ 5/5 – 4/5. Dated Civic Year 35 (92/1 BC)
- Israel: Republic Uniface Reverse 25 Mils JE 5708 (1948) MS61 NGC, cf. KM8 (for type)
- Palestine: British Mandate Proof 2 Mils 1927 PR64 Brown PCGS, KM2
A live auction session at coins.ha.com caps off the sale on Sunday, October 15, at 7 PM Central, 8 PM Eastern.