100th anniversary of the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel, Canadian Paramedics and innovative Maple Leaf Maze coins among notable products
In launching its latest numismatic catalogue, the Royal Canadian Mint is issuing a fine silver coin to remind Canadians that this year’s celebration of Canada Day is also a time to remember the brave Newfoundlanders who fell 100 years ago at the infamous Battle of Beaumont-Hamel on July 1, 1916. Canada’s paramedics are also honoured on the latest fine silver coin in the National Heroes series, while a bumper crop of maple leaf-themed coins and cultural keepsakes round out the Mint’s latest numismatic offering.
All of these coins have been available for purchase since June 7, 2016.
Canadian artist Silvia Pecota designed the 99.99% pure silver coin that poignantly captures the bravery and tragedy of the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel where the soldiers of the 1st Newfoundland Regiment participated in the first ground attack of the Somme Offensive. Only 30 minutes into this assault, all but 68 of the 801-man regiment were cut down by enemy fire. The scene of Newfoundland soldiers pressing on in the heat of battle is a moving tribute to all those who sacrificed their lives for the Allied cause in the First World War.
The Mint is also giving Canadians a new way to appreciate their national symbol with a creative innovation: the 2016 $20 Fine Silver Coin: Maple Leaf Maze. Designed by artist Maurice Gervais, the coin, adorned by a bright red partial image of a maple leaf, is also a functional puzzle which challenges its owner to skillfully place a tiny brass ball at the centre of the maze. The maple leaf-themed collection of finely crafted collectibles continues with:
- The 2016 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Canada’s Colourful Maple Leaf, a coloured coin struck in a distinct maple leaf shape, also designed by Maurice Gervais;
- The 2016 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Jewel of the Rain: Big Leaf Maple, the latest coin featuring a Swarovski© crystal raindrop in a design by artist Caren Heine;
- The 2016 $2,500 pure gold and $250 fine silver “Maple Leaf Forever” coins featuring rare colour applications on gold and silver kilo coins designed by Julius Csotonyi;
- The 2016 $300 Pure Platinum Coin: Maple Leaf Forever, designed by artist Lilyane Coulombe and featuring the innovative contrast of pink and yellow gold plating; and
- A 5 oz. 2016 $500 Pure Gold Coin – Maple Leaves, designed by Celia Godkin.
Other coins available this month include:
- The 2016 $150 Pure Gold Coin – Blessings of Good Health by Three Degrees Creative Group;
- The 2016 $8 Fine Silver Coin – Tiger and Dragon Yin and Yang coin by artist Charles Vinh;
- The 2016 $20 Fine Silver Coin – The Migratory Birds Convention, 100 Years of Protection: The American Avocet, designed by Claudio D’Angelo;
- The 2016 $10 Fine Silver Coin Batman v Superman: Dawn Of JusticeTM – Wonder WomanTM (final coin in a series of 4); and
- The crystal-enhanced 2016 $5 Fine Silver Coin Birthstone Series – July (coin 7 of 12).
Mintages, pricing and full background information on each coin can be found on the “Shop” tab of www.mint.ca. The products can be ordered directly from the Mint at 1-800-267-1871 in Canada, 1-800-268-6468 in the US, or online at www.mint.ca.
The coins are also available at the Royal Canadian Mint’s boutiques in Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver, as well as through our global network of dealers and distributors, including participating Canada Post outlets.
Canadian Silver Maple Leafs Currently Available on eBay