By Royal Australian Mint ……
The ill-fated Batavia, one of Australia’s oldest shipwrecks, is depicted on these magnificent gold and silver triangular investment coins, proudly presented by the Royal Australian Mint. The design depicts the harrowing story of the Batavia’s wreck and the events that followed. These exclusive products are both a stunning investment and a commemoration of Australia’s maritime heritage.
History and Significance
In June 1629, the Dutch East India Company’s (VOC) vessel, Batavia, was sailing from the Netherlands to Batavia (Jakarta), when it struck a reef off the coast of Western Australia and was wrecked. Most survivors were able to swim to nearby Beacon Island, and the ship’s commander, Francisco Pelsaert, took 47 crew and a longboat on a grueling journey to Batavia to seek help.
Unknown to Pelseart, Batavia had been threatened with a mutinous plot led by Undermerchant Jeronimus Cornelisz. Assuming leadership, Cornelisz and his supporters set about eliminating any opposition. A total of 125 men, women and children were killed. On Pelsaert’s return, the mutineers were arrested: seven were hanged and two marooned on the mainland, making them Australia’s first recorded European settlers.
The wreck of Batavia was discovered in 1963 and sections of its hull and other artifacts are on display at the Western Australian Maritime Museum. Batavia, Australia’s second-oldest shipwreck, is an unparalleled tale of the darkest side of human nature.
- Australia’s first ever triangular investment coins
- Very low mintage: limited to 250 gold and 20,000 silver worldwide
- Guaranteed metal content and impeccable quality standards
- Gold coin includes Certificate of Authenticity
- Coin’s obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II designed by Jody Clark
- Obverse features a depiction of the battles between the mutineers and soldiers, representing both the beginning and the climax of Batavia’s story
- Coin reverse depicts Batavia in all its glory, framed by the ship’s designs after sinking, with the ship’s title upside down
- Australian legal tender
- Available exclusively through LPM Group Limited