We are already looking forward to our January 8-9 World Coins Signature Auction, to be held in conjunction with the New York International Numismatic Convention (NYINC). The superlatives for this auction are already flowing in, with particular emphasis on the diversity and quality of the material to be offered.
One of the standout collections to be offered in this auction is the D. Moore Collection, assembled over a period of 20+ years. The 150 Russian coins in this collection are so strong that they merit their own stand-alone catalog. Many of these coins were acquired privately and will thus be fresh to the auction marketplace. A second stand-alone catalog will cover the rest of the coins in this collection.
A few of the highlights of the Russian offerings from the D. Moore Collection include:
- Alexander III Proof Rouble 1886-AГ PR66 Cameo NGC. Very rare in proof format and exceptionally preserved with dramatic cameoed surfaces.
- Nicholas I platinum 3 Roubles 1828-CПБ MS67 Prooflike NGC. A collector favorite as a result of its striking in platinum. One of the finest business-strike survivors of the issue for any date.
- Elizabeth gold Novodel Pattern 5 Roubles 1755-CПБ PR64 Cameo NGC. A very rare pattern that was only struck as a novodel. There are two type of this pattern, this type showing a small St. Andrew’s Cross over the eagle. It’s thought that somewhere between 5-9 examples of the type exist. This example has full proof characteristics with deep reflectivity in the fields and thick frost on the raised surfaces.
- Peter III Rouble 1762 CПБ-HK MS64 NGC. A one-year issue in an almost unheard of condition. Presently unsurpassed in grade at NGC or PCGS.
- Peter II Novodel Poltina (1/2 Rouble) 1727 AU58 NGC, Sev-907. Rare as an issue and extremely rare this nicely preserved. Most examples that have been sold over the last decade show moderate to severe damage.
- Ivan III (“the Great”) Rouble 1741-CПБ MS61 NGC. An iconic single-year issue that is almost always seen heavily circulated, damaged or is plagued by major planchet issues (laminations).
* * *
Heritage is still accepting consignments for the January 8-9 World Coins Signature Auction until November 14. To consign your outstanding worldwide numismatic material to this auction, please contact Cris Bierrenbach at 1-800-872-6467 x1661.