By CoinWeek Staff Reports….
On Thursday, October 15, at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, Legend Rare Coin Auctions will conduct Regency Auction XIV. The sale is the official auction of the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) Member’s Only Show and is typically a great venue for type coin collectors looking for material with plus eye appeal.
Legend Rare Coin Auctions positions itself as a boutique auction house that specializes in high-end material.
Regency Auction XIV consists of 355 lots. Headlining the sale is Part II of the Coronet Collection of Morgan dollars. In June 2015, the last time CoinWeek discussed the set (here and here), Coronet ranked #2 All-Time in the PCGS Basic Dollar Set, Circulation Strikes registry set category. Somehow, in the intervening period, Coronet now ekes past Jack Lee by one-hundredth of a percent.
Those pursuing Morgan dollars of uncompromising quality will find much to like in Coronet II. In addition, the Vermeule 1893-S PCGS MS67 is available at an asking price of $2,000,000. If sold, the Vermeule will change hands via Private Treaty sale and not during the auction proper.
Beyond Coronet II, Legend is also offering a second Morgan dollar collection, the Gulf Coast Collection. Gulf Coast is a great compliment to Coronet, insofar as it offers a carefully-considered collection of Morgan dollars, many in better-than-typical Mint State grades at prices starting at a couple hundred dollars. Those seeking upgrades, or the opportunity to pick up a few nice pieces, should take a look at the offerings. The Gulf Coast coins make up Lots 38 to 109.
Lots 116 through 198 continue the Morgan dollar theme.
- Lot 4: 1895 PCGS PR67DCAM CAC. Est.: $135,000+
- Lot 5: 1895-O PCGS PR65 CAC. Est.: $200,000+
- Lot 6: 1895-S PCGS MS66+ CAC. Est.: $100,000+
- Lot 9: 1896-S PCGS MS66 PL CAC. Est.: $125,000+
- Lot 15: 1898-S PCGS MS68 CAC. Est.: $100,000+
- Lot 23: 1901 PCGS MS66. Est.: $500,000+
- Lot 45: 1880 PCGS MS66 (Monster Toner). Est.:$1,500+
- Lot 52: 1883 PCGS MS67+ CAC. Est.: $5,000+
- Lot 72: 1889-CC PCGS MS62. Est.: $30,000+
- Lot 105: 1904-S PCGS MS65. Est.: $8,000+
Morgan Dollars (Lots 116-198)
- Lot 122: 1879-S PCGS MS68+ CAC. Est: 20,000+
- Lot 129: 1881-CC PCGS MS67 DMPL. Est.: $50,000+
- Lot 154: 1884-CC PCGS MS67 DMPL CAC. Est.: $22,500+
- Lot 162: 1885-CC PCGS MS67 DMPL. Est.:$50,000+
- Lot 180: 1895-S PCGS MS66 DMPL. Est.: $90,000+
To learn more about what’s being offered by Legend at Regency XIV, or to register to bid, go to http://www.legendauctions.com. The live sale begins at 7:30 PM Eastern Time, 4:30 Pacific.