By Carl Wolf for the Chicago Coin Club….
Congratulations to Chicago Coin Club member Eugene Freeman!
The National Society Sons of the American Revolution presented Eugene with their Robert E. Burt Boy Scout Volunteer Award To read more about the award criteria go to www.usscouts.org/awards/REBurt.asp.
Eugene served as Scout Chairman on the Local Planning Committee at the 2011, ’13, ’14 & ’15 American Numismatic Association (ANA) Conventions in Chicago. During this time, he put in many hours promoting the ANA Convention Boy Scout Merit Badge Clinic.
His work never went unnoticed and included:
- Repeatedly contacted local Scout Chapters and Suburban Councils, providing them with flyers, information, maps, etc.;
- Taught a Coin Collecting Merit Badge class at a Scout Merit Badge University with 2,000 scouts who chose from over 100 different merit badge classes;
- Provided local coin shows with flyers promoting the Merit Badge Clinic;
- Sent mass-emails to past participants and their families;
- Worked with the Scouts and the American Numismatic Association to create a new activity patch, “Scouting at the ANA”, given to Scouts and Scout Leaders who already had the Coin Collecting Merit Badge but could earn this patch when participating in specific activities at the ANA Convention;
- Stayed in touch with the ANA staff and kept them up-to-date with his efforts
Congratulations, Eugene, for this well-deserved recognition!