Italian Mint

The Italian Mint – whose origins date back to the Roman age, specifically to 269 B.C.E., the year when the first silver coins were coined – became a part of the Istituto Poligrafico dello Stato in 1978. The Mint’s activities in Rome are currently carried out in two plants: the historical works located at via Principe Umberto – inaugurated on December 27, 1911, in the presence of King Victor Emmanuel III – and the fully refurbished works in Via Gino Capponi, which became operational in 1999.