A special NGC attribution and label are among the ways coin collectors can recognize this historic US Mint release. Special submission instructions must be followed. See the “Submission Instructions” section of this article
* * *
The United States Mint has announced that a 2019-W Proof Cent will be included with all purchases of the 2019 United States Mint Proof Set, which goes on sale March 1. This is the first cent to feature the ‘W’ mint mark of the West Point Mint.
NGC is celebrating this historic coin with a special attribution of First “W” Mint Mark Cent, as well as NGC’s West Point Mint Gold Star Label, both of which are provided for no additional fee.
Lincoln Cents have been struck for the past 111 years, typically with no mint mark (if struck in Philadelphia), a ‘D’ mint mark (if struck in Denver) or an ‘S’ mint mark (if struck in San Francisco). In 2017, a ‘P’ mintmark was included on the Philadelphia issues for the first time to celebrate the 225th anniversary of the Mint.
Today, the US Mint branch in West Point, New York, is best known for minting commemorative and bullion coins, as well as precious metals including silver, gold, platinum, and palladium. However, before it was elevated to a branch mint, the West Point facility produced Lincoln Cents for circulation from 1974 to 1986. These had no mint mark and are indistinguishable from the Philadelphia issues.
The 2019-W Proof Cent is included with orders of the 2019 United States Mint Proof Set, which features proof examples of the 10 coins produced this year for circulation: a cent, nickel, dime, five America the Beautiful quarters, a half dollar and dollar, all with the “S” mint mark. There is no mintage limit or household order limit on this set.
Coins received by NGC within the first 30 days of their release are eligible for NGC’s popular Early Releases and First Releases designations. Learn more about Early Releases and First Releases here. For Early Releases / First Releases cutoff dates, click here.
- Submit the 2019-W Cent under the Modern grading tier or higher.
- The default label will be the West Point Mint Gold Star #391 label (shown below):
- For an additional fee of $5 per coin, enter Abraham Lincoln Label #560 on your submission form to request this label (shown below):
- For no additional fee, enter Standard Brown Label #377 on your submission form to request this label.
- If the Early Releases or First Releases designation is desired (+$10), select Early Releases or First Releases on your submission form. If you would like the Blue Early Releases label, request Blue Early Releases Label #378.
- If you would like the Blue First Releases label, request Blue First Releases Label #379.
- To qualify for Early Releases or First Releases, coins must be received by NGC or an NGC-approved Depository before the Early Releases/First Releases cutoff date.
- Please note: The 2019-W Cent does not have to be submitted with the entire 2019 United States Mint Proof Set; however, all coins submitted must be graded.
Questions? Contact NGC Customer Service at [email protected] or 1-800-NGC-COIN (1-800-642-2646).
NGC’s First Day of Issue designation is available for qualifying bulk submissions only. Contact Scott Heller at (941) 360-3990 or [email protected] or Miles Standish at [email protected] or (949) 922-0515 for bulk submissions.
Collectors Society paid members can submit their coins directly to NGC. Not an NGC Collectors Society member? Paid memberships start at just $25/year. Join today.