The eagerly awaited 30th Anniversary Proof Silver Eagle — the first in the series to feature edge lettering — went on sale on Friday, Sept. 16 at 12 p.m. EST. NGC has created a celebratory label for this coin and is offering its popular Early Releases and First Releases designations.
The US Mint released the 2016-W Proof Silver Eagle on Friday, September 16. The most widely collected modern silver coin in the world, the American Silver Eagle was first issued in 1986. In celebration of the coin’s 30th anniversary, all 2016-W Proof Silver Eagles will feature an incuse “30th ANNIVERSARY” edge inscription — a first for the series.
NGC has designed a special three-prong EdgeView® holder to better facilitate viewing of the coin’s lettered edge. Every 2016-W Proof Silver Eagle submitted to NGC will be encapsulated in the specially designed holder.
A commemorative 30th Anniversary Silver Eagle NGC certification label will be available at no additional charge for these coins. NGC will also offer its popular Early Releases® and First Releases® designations for 2016-W Proof Silver Eagles received within the first 30 days of release. Learn more about Early Releases and First Releases here. Also see Early Releases / First Releases cutoff dates. See the submission instructions below.
- Submit the coins under the Modern grading tier or higher. If Early Releases or First Releases is desired, select Special Designation/Label and check either Early Releases or First Releases. If you do not want the Early Releases or First Releases designations, the 30th Anniversary label will still be included by default with the Modern grading tier fee.
- To qualify for Early Releases or First Releases coins must be received by NGC before the Early Releases/First Releases cutoff date.
- The default label will be NGC’s special 30th Anniversary label, shown below:
- If you would prefer the Blue Early Releases label, write Blue Early Releases in bold letters on the NGC Submission Form.
- If you would prefer the Blue First Releases label, write Blue First Releases Label in bold letters on the NGC Submission Form.
- If you would prefer NGC’s Standard Brown label, write Standard Brown Label in bold letters on the NGC Submission Form.
- Remove the coins from the US Mint packaging and submit them raw in capsules. Do not submit the Mint packaging.
- If you would like Mint capsules returned, select “Return Mint Packaging” in section 3.
Questions? Contact NGC Customer Service at [email protected] or 1-800-NGC-COIN (1-800-642-2646).
Collectors Society paid members can submit their coins directly to NGC. Not an NGC Collectors Society member? Paid memberships start at just $39/year. Join today.
2016 American Silver Eagles Currently Available on eBay