By Brad Ciociola – Currency Specialist, Stack’s Bowers ……
A remarkable type collection of Confederate paper money, assembled by a husband and wife over the more than 50 years, will be featured in the Stack’s Bowers Galleries Official U.S. Currency Auction of the ANA World’s Fair of Money this August in Denver, Colorado.
“The Cleo Collection is truly an exceptional collection of Confederate paper money that was assembled with great care and patience,” remarked Stack’s Bowers currency specialist Brad Ciociola. “Each note in the collection was added with an eye for ideal cut and paper quality and excellent visual appeal.”
There are a number of notes in the core 72-note type set that are either the single-finest graded by both PMG and PCGS or are the finest graded by each respective service. The collection was started in the 1950s when high-quality notes were more available. Notes in the collection were sourced from some of the top names in Confederate Currency such as Grover Criswell, Dr. Douglas Ball and Hugh Shull. The collection was continually added to and upgraded until recently when it became apparent that significant improvement was improbable and the decision was made to allow the notes to be appreciated by a new generation of collectors.
“There have been a number of great Confederate collections assembled over the years but few have been curated with such a keen eye for quality” says Ciociola. “The core type set is the finest I’ve ever seen when taken as a whole.”
Selected highlights from the Cleo Collection include:
- T-1 1861 $1,000. PMG Extremely Fine 40 Net. Est. $30,000-$50,000.
- T-2 1861 $500. PMG Very Fine 30. Est. $30,000-$50,000.
- T-3 1861 $100. PMG About Uncirculated 50 Net. Est. $20,000-$30,000.
- T-4 1861 $50. PMG Extremely Fine 40. Est. $17,500-$22,500.
- T-35 1861 $50. PMG Choice Very Fine 35 EPQ. Est. $7,000-$10,000.
- T-19 1861 $20. PMG Choice Very Fine 35. Est. $7,000-$10,000.
- T-17 1861 $20. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64 EPQ. Finest Graded. Est. $5,000-$7,000.
- T-27 1861 $10. PMG Very Fine 30. Finest Graded by PMG. Est. $20,000-$30,000.
- T-31 1861 $5. PCGS Choice About New 58. Finest Graded. Est. $7,000-$10,000.
- T-32 1861 $5. PMG About Uncirculated 50. Finest Graded. Est. $7,000-$10,000.
- T-35 1861 $5. PMG Very Fine 25 Net. Est. $20,000-$30,000.
The Stack’s Bowers Galleries Official U.S. Currency Auction of the ANA World’s Fair of Money will be held during the first week of August. The consignment deadline for U.S. Currency was June 5. To consign your items to this great auction event contact Director of Currency Peter Treglia at [email protected] or Currency Specialist Brad Ciociola at [email protected].