The American Numismatic Society (ANS) is delighted to announce that the 2016 Harry W. Fowler Memorial Lecture will be presented by Aneurin Ellis-Evans, Junior Research Fellow in Classics at The Queen’s College, University of Oxford. The lecture will take place on Tuesday, 12 April, 2016 at the American Numismatic Society, 75 Varick Street, Floor 11, in New York City. Dr. Ellis-Evans will speak on “Imperialism and Regionalism in the Athenian Empire: an Attic Weight Coinage from North-West Turkey and its Afterlife (427-405 BC).”
Dr. Ellis-Evans holds degrees from Balliol College and New College, Oxford, with a particular interest in the social and economic history of the ancient world. In particular, he is intrigued by the relationship between geography and history, and will be publishing his PhD thesis exploring this theme with OUP as The Kingdom of Priam: The Troad between Anatolia and the Aegean. Since completing his doctoral studies in 2013, he has written numerous articles and reviews, and presented on a variety of topics relating to the Classical and Post-Classical worlds.
The lecture will begin at 6:00 PM. It will be preceded by a reception at 5:30.
RSVP required to [email protected], or call (212) 571-4470 ext. 117.
Government issued photo I.D. is required for entry.
A subscription dinner will be held following the event at a nearby restaurant. Pre-registration is required. Contact [email protected] for details.
The Harry W. Fowler Memorial Lecture was established in 1998 with a bequest from Mr. Fowler and with additional gifts from the Fowler family. Harry W. Fowler served as President of the American Numismatic Society from 1984-1990, and for his personal generosity was named a Benefactor of the Society in 1986. In 1995 he bequeathed his collection of Bactrian coins to the ANS, which together with the Society’s already strong holdings, has created one of the most comprehensive collections of Greco-Bactrian and Indo-Greek coins.
About the American Numismatic Society
The American Numismatic Society, organized in 1858 and incorporated in 1865 in New York State, operates as a research museum under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and is recognized as a publicly supported organization under section 170(b)(1)(A)(vi) as confirmed on November 1, 1970.