1794 S-48 Starred Reverse Chapman Discovery Coin among highlights featured during Jan. 5-10 FUN Auction
A discerning eye taking advantage of important opportunities led to the formation of The Arizona Collection of United States Large Cents, a special collection named after the home state of the shrewd collectors who assembled it. The trove features more than 150 coins, mostly within the Condition Census for their individual varieties. These coins carry the provenance of many collectors including Boka, Eliasberg, Holmes, Husak, Koshkarian, Naftzger, Pogue, Reiver, Starr, Twin Leaf and several others.
This Arizona collector chose some of the best examples out of those past collections. The collection spans from 1793 to 1857, including exceptional quality and historically important examples of all types that will be offered without reserve during Heritage Auctions’ Florida United Numismatists (FUN) Convention U.S. Coins Auction in January 2022. The FUN Convention is slated for the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida from January 5-9, 2022.
Rarities and Condition Census large cents abound, showing what a dedicated collector can accomplish. Nearly every coin in The Arizona Collection of United States Large Cents would be a highlight of most any other collection:
- The Floyd Starr 1793 S-2 Chain America Cent grades MS64 Brown PCGS
- The Naftzger 1793 S-10 Wreath Cent is certified MS64 Brown PCGS CAC
- A single 1793 Liberty Cap Cent that grades VF35 is from the rare S-16 dies
- One of the finest known 1794 S-48 Starred Reverse Cents grades VF35 PCGS
- A 1796 S-92 Draped Bust Cent that grades MS65 Brown PCGS marks the beginning of the Draped Bust series. More than 20 Draped Bust cents in the collection grade better than MS60
- The Eliasberg 1799/8 S-188 Cent grades VF25 PCGS
- The Haig Koshkarian 1801 S-219 Three Errors Cent grades MS62 Brown PCGS
- One of the finest 1804 S-266 Cents from the Koshkarian Collection grades AU55 PCGS
- Classic Head large cents feature no less than 10 Mint State examples, including an 1809 S-280 cent that grades MS64 Brown PCGS
- An 1821 N-2 Cent pedigreed to the Mills, Jackman, and Beckwith Collections, grades MS64 Red and Brown PCGS. This piece is just one of more than 40 Mint State Middle Date large cents
- Ted Naftzger’s 1824 N-2 Cent grades MS64 Brown PCGS
- An amazing 1831 N-3 Cent from the Helfenstein, Naftzger, and Pogue Collections grades MS66+ Red and Brown PCGS
- A Condition Census 1839/6 N-1 Cent from the Twin Leaf Collection grades AU55 PCGS
- The Koshkarian Collection was the source for an 1844/81 N-2 Cent that grades MS64 Red and Brown PCGS. Thirty-six of the 37 Late Date large cents grade MS63 or finer, including seven that are designated Red
The Arizona Collection of U.S. large cents will be offered by Heritage Auctions during the Florida United Numismatic Convention U.S. Coins Auction, Jan. 5-9, 2022. The consignment deadline for this auction is Monday, November 22.
* * *
About Heritage Auctions
Heritage Auctions is the largest fine art and collectibles auction house founded in the United States and the world’s largest collectibles auctioneer. Heritage maintains offices in New York, Dallas, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, Chicago, Palm Beach, London, Paris, Geneva, Amsterdam and Hong Kong.
Heritage also enjoys the highest online traffic and dollar volume of any auction house on earth (source: SimilarWeb and Hiscox Report). The Internet’s most popular auction house website, HA.com, has more than 1,400,000 registered bidder-members and searchable free archives of five million past auction records with prices realized, descriptions, and enlargeable photos.