By Hubert Walker for CoinWeek ….
Salvation Army bell ringers continued to spread holiday cheer as they collected donations last week in many communities around the country.
And generous, perhaps numismatically-minded donors continued to drop gold coins in the Salvation Army’s famous red kettles.
If you’re like us, you’re probably curious about what happens to these gold coins once they’re donated. According to the Salvation Army, gold coins and other valuables are professionally appraised. The coins are then auctioned off to collectors. The proceeds from these sales go to support the mission of the Salvation Army, which, during the holiday season, primarily focuses on feeding those currently in need.
This week’s Red Kettle Report covers gold coins donated between December 6 and December 13.
- December 6 – Donor leaves large gold coin in Paris, Illinois kettle several years in a row: http://www.parisbeacon.com/news/article_2750d15e-9e2d-11e5-80d9-9784d93d35a7.html
- Dec. 7 – Fifth Krugerrand in five years found in Green Bay area kettle: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/local/2015/12/08/gold-coin-boosts-local-red-kettle-drive/76999930/
- Dec. 7 – Sixth Krugerrand in as many years dropped into Kokomo, Indiana kettle: http://www.kokomotribune.com/news/rare-gold-krugerrand-continues-to-be-regular-occurrence-in-kokomo/article_f56cf826-a024-11e5-8815-ffe666a015e7.html
- Dec. 7 – Three gold coins found in Chicago-area kettle for 12th consecutive year: http://www.morrisherald-news.com/2015/12/08/morris-red-kettle-gets-gold-coins-again/an05obc/
- Dec. 7, 8 – “Coin Crusader” wraps two 1947 50-peso Mexican gold coins in dollar bills in Pompano Beach, Florida: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/12/08/broward-coin-crusader-donates-to-red-kettle-campaign-again/
- Dec. 9 – Half-ounce Krugerrand found in Clarksville, Tennessee: http://clarksvillenow.com/local/salvation-army-gets-gold-coin-donation/
- Dec. 9 – “Coin Crusader” strikes again! Three more 50-peso gold coins found: http://www.wsvn.com/story/30721087/coin-crusader-donates-3-more-valuable-coins-to-the-salvation-army
- Dec. 9 – Krugerrand, wrapped in $100 bill and carrying anti-war message, donated in Mishawaka, Indiana: http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/Gold-coin-found-in-Red-Kettle-in-Mishawaka/36880530
- Dec. 10 – 1976 Krugerrand donated in Midland County, Michigan: http://www.ourmidland.com/news/the-salvation-army-in-midland-receives-gold-coin-worth/article_1405ee3a-a045-11e5-95f5-2f367deb1e75.html
- Dec. 10 – Sacramento-area donor gives Krugerrand to Salvation Army: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article49885860.html
- Dec. 11 – Liberty Head Double Eagle donated in Columbia Falls, Montana:
- Dec. 11 – “LRB” 2013 American Buffalo gold coin found in Vinton, Iowa: http://www.communitynewspapergroup.com/news/gold-coin-dropped-into-vinton-salvation-army-container-for-second/article_1be754d4-a065-11e5-b6ab-0b8a27daa417.html
- Dec. 11-13 – Salvation Army of Genesee County finds 1979 Krugerrand in Flushing kettle: http://nbc25news.com/news/local/gold-coin-placed-in-flushing-salvation-army-red-kettle
- Dec. 11-13 – Canadian 1985 Elizabeth II $50 gold coin turns up in Anaheim, California: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/kettle-696120-army-salvation.html
- Dec. 11-13 – American Platinum Eagle replica coin dropped off in Paris, Illinois:
- Dec. 12 – Three gold coins donated around Chicago area:
- Dec. 12 – Ft. Collins, Colorado sees anonymous gift of krugerrand: http://www.coloradoan.com/story/life/2015/12/17/krugerrand-coin-dropped-salvation-army/77502372/
- Dec. 12 – Shelby, North Carolina Salvation Army receives Krugerrand: http://wncn.com/2015/12/25/rare-coins-found-in-salvation-army-kettle-in-nc/
Next week: Who is “Mimi”?
South African Krugerrands Currently Available on eBay