Made with three colors, green, white and red, to resemble the Italian flag
By the Italian Mint ……
The State Mint has created a new 5 euro silver coin, issued by the Ministry of Economy and Finance, that celebrates one of the most famous symbols of Italian style in the world: the Vespa. It is no coincidence that the choice of colors–green, white and red–resemble the tricolor of the Italian flag. The coin, which belongs to the Italian Excellence series of the 2019 Numismatic Collection, was created by the artist-engraver Maria Carmela Colaneri and produced by the Mint of Rome.
On the obverse, you can see a boy and a girl sitting on a modern Vespa model colored in three different variations with the Colosseum is the background. On the composition stands the inscription “ITALIAN REPUBLIC”; below, the author’s name “COLANERI”.
On the reverse, the graphic composition of the profile and the front of the Vespa is represented in its first historical version, that of 1946, with Piaggio elements and styles. At the top are the value “5 EURO” and the word “VESPA” in the characteristic italics that marked the logo of the most famous scooter in the world; on the right is the letter “R”, identifying the Mint of Rome; and at the bottom, in the right field, is the year of issue “2019”.
All the coins are struck in a Fior di Conio finish: the coin with green coloring will have a circulation of 3,000 pieces, while those with white and red shall have a circulation of 7,000 pieces each. A set will also be available complete with the three coins that has a maximum production run of 1,000 units.
This issue will soon be available on the new website www.shop.ipzs.it, as well as on the site of the Treasury Department.
Other issues scheduled for release from the State Mint for 2019 include:
- 20 euro gold coin – Europa Series Program “Il Rinascimento”
- 10 euro silver coin with gold inserts – Explorers Series: Christopher Columbus
- 10 euro gold coin – Roman Emperors series “Augustus”
- 5 euro silver coin – Centenary of the death of Cesare Maccari
- 10 euro silver coin – Italian Series of Arts “Duomo di Milano” – Lombardy
- 5 euro silver coin – Italy Series of the Arts “Santa Maria del Fiore” – Florence, Tuscany
- 5 euro bimetallic coin in bronzital and cupronickel with 16-sided polygonal border – Anniversary of the foundation of the Carabinieri Command for the Protection of Cultural Heritage
- 5 euro coin in bronzital – Centenary of the National Alpine Association
- 5 euro bimetallic bronzital and cupronickel coin with 16-sided polygonal border – Centenary of the birth of Fausto Coppi
- 5 euro silver coin with colored inserts – 30th Anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall
- 5 euro silver coin with colored inserts – 50th anniversary of the moon landing
All new 2019 issues will be exhibited during the year at the numismatic corner of the Treasury Department Library inside the Palazzo delle Finance and open to the public upon request via email at [email protected].
[Just for fun, here is the Pop Rivets’ classic ode to the stylish Italian motor scooter. —CoinWeek]